Guest play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Got told one weekend "No" by the manager, for the same tourney that the Coaches kid picked up for. Manager said it was against the organization rules, I guess for some.

I'll do you one better. Was told "No" by the manager for the same tourney and team that the Coaches kid picked up for. Told them my daughter couldn't play in order to get his own in.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
We have always told/asked the coaches if DD is guest playing for another team. I don't remember ever discussing if it was a requirement or not, but it seems like the right way to go about it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Guest play was pretty common at 10U and 12U. At 14U it became less prevalent, but still happened. At 16U and 18U there are some pickups for nationals, but not so much during the regular season. Although some teams share players within an organization. As players become more specialized coaches begin to covet their top players and do not want to risk injuries picking up with another team. While they may not have a problem with some of their role players picking up with other teams for extra reps, coaches do not want to have a "double standard", so most just forbid it.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
So it seems that for the most part everyone lets the coach know but he doesn't have any real veto authority. Our coach has brought up implementing a rule that would require HC approval to pick up with another team. I don't see this ending well at all.

Jul 25, 2015
Ran into this last year with DD#2 but it was within the organization surprisingly... Coach with a younger team had asked about DD#2 picking up to give him some help in the pitching department... I told DD#2 HC that we would like to help him when it didn't interfere with her team's schedule and the HC said that it wouldn't be a problem... Funny but every "off" weekend magically became a mandatory practice when I let him know DD#2 was picking up with the other team, after this happened twice, I finally said "well, she committed to playing with them this weekend so she won't be at practice"...

Come to find out there was bad blood between the two HC's that I did not know about...

Jun 12, 2015
Ran into this last year with DD#2 but it was within the organization surprisingly... Coach with a younger team had asked about DD#2 picking up to give him some help in the pitching department... I told DD#2 HC that we would like to help him when it didn't interfere with her team's schedule and the HC said that it wouldn't be a problem... Funny but every "off" weekend magically became a mandatory practice when I let him know DD#2 was picking up with the other team, after this happened twice, I finally said "well, she committed to playing with them this weekend so she won't be at practice"...

Come to find out there was bad blood between the two HC's that I did not know about...

We had that happen when we needed to pick up a pitcher once. They went to the HC of their team about it and suddenly they were having practice on Saturday. Funny how that works.

Nov 18, 2013
So it seems that for the most part everyone lets the coach know but he doesn't have any real veto authority. Our coach has brought up implementing a rule that would require HC approval to pick up with another team. I don't see this ending well at all.

Assuming the coach decides who plays on his team or at a minimum who sees innings I’d say they have veto authority. A rule actually makes perfect sense if for nothing else to keep girls from rostering on two different teams, especially if the guest team is in a qualifier.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Assuming the coach decides who plays on his team or at a minimum who sees innings I’d say they have veto authority. A rule actually makes perfect sense if for nothing else to keep girls from rostering on two different teams, especially if the guest team is in a qualifier.

The HC does decide who plays on his team and who sees innings. What I am afraid of is him vetoing everything and next season we don't have a team because he pissed everyone off. I am positive some will leave immediately and/or refuse to sign any contract that has that stipulation in it. We have way more teams than we have players around here. Because we have so many teams, pickups have become VERY common here. There was a team in our organization that only had 6 girls on their roster all season. They picked up 4 or 5 every tournament. It is a players market; teams have folded for less around here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06