Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yep, too bad the vast majority here never got to experience driving a 1966 - 1972 Chevy Chevelle! ;) There is NOTHING else in the world like it!!

BIG, old full frame GM "A" bodies rule!

One of first warehouse jobs was with Classic Industries

Screenshot_2021-02-11-06-31-30-1.png

Screenshot_2021-02-11-06-31-30-2.png

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Me too.

Here is my list so far-

‘76 Ford F-250 4WD with a 390 in college. Total beater. What a beast.

1990 F-150, 4 or 5 speed manual with overdrive? Can’t remember. Straight six, totally under rated truck. Two fuel tanks. Loved that truck.

Took a brief detour to a Toyota 4-Runner. ‘93? It was pretty awesome but it wasn’t a truck. Six DVD changer, lol

94ish F-350 single cab with a fuel injected 454. Truck was a BEAST. Classic looking truck.

’96 Ford F-150 extended cab 4WD . 351 engine. Only Ford I ever bought that was a lemon. Didn’t last long before I traded.

Cant remember what year- F-250 four door 4WD with V-10. That sounded better than it was. Drove the wheels off it at 11 mpg. Dang.

That needed exhaust, wheel bearings and a universal joint. My buddy bought the then new F-350 with diesel motor at about the same time and Ford was pushing out the new diesel with a $7,500 rebate on the engine alone (get the diesel for free basically) just to get the new motor out. Because of the Cash for Clunkers program, there were very few used trucks available so I did great on my trade in so I bought my current ride, a 2011 F250 diesel.

I love that truck. It’s got 150,000 miles on it and I would love to trade.... Too expensive.

One of the things I like about the Tundra is the 36 gallon fuel tank. I can drive 20 miles out of my high fuel tax state to Costco in a lower fuel tax state and fill up with way cheaper gas. They don’t have diesel.
Heck of a list!
I think more of you now :) lol

Whats your thoughts on the
Eco-diesel Ram has.
Better price for sure.
Not certain about its comparability to old school D.

Tundra at 13 mpg toyota just hasnt improved on mpg.
That includes 4-runner & tacoma.
Hybrid will help, but at the extra cost for it??? +$10,000???
on top of already more pricey.

Heck even jeeps get much better mpg.
Did ya'all know wranglers have regenerative braking system now?! And Ram?!
Yep little electric boost from a seperate on board battery.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Dollar for dollar, greatest car ever made! A new $6000.00 disposable car designed to get a 100K out of it and throw it away! I've seen many Chevette's with 200K+ on the clock!

Ha! Yes. My mom sure didn't quit on it - held on to it until donating to the local trade school around 200K...the scariest part was actually riding in the backseat with the floor rusted through...watching the road under your feet!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As far as the Mopars..... JUST YESTERDAY I took my Ram work truck in for an oil change. 19,000 miles. It needed front pads and rotors! WTH! Granted it is used more like a car than a truck but I have always been easy on brakes, my personally owned Superduty that gets the wheels driven off it didn’t need rotors until more than 100k miles.

You guys have all had some pretty cool vehicles. I agree they are too expensive! I’d love to trade my 2011 diesel in on a new diesel but every truck I’m interested in is like $70k? No way!

I’m probably doing to end up with a Tundra or F-150. Maybe even the hybrid F-150, idk much about them yet. Rad and Core, those Toyota’s are just solid. My buddy works at a place that sells Toyota and Chevy/GMC. He says the mechanics all want to work on Chevy’s in the shop because there is a lot of work, but they all drive Tundra’s because you never have anything wrong with the engine.

Core the older Avalanches and the Cadillac version were just solid. At one time my work car was an ‘04 Yukon and my partners was an Avalanche. Both of those trucks were run hard for years, we put almost 200,000 miles on both. I loved that Yukon. My buddies was red, we called it the Red Rocket because he was always bumping the speed limiter everywhere he went.
Ummmm? Start slowing down sooner? 💁

...just sayin...and replaced the rotors?

Jan 27, 2021
I would totally agree that for day to day driving vehicles are more reliable now than ever. It’s just when they kerplop they do so in a terrible fashion. Jeeps and Ford’s currently being the worst.

as for looking at a new diesel be sure and find one that has the upgraded fuel pump. All 3 of the domestics use that same bosh pump and they are all failing. Throwing metal into the fuel system. It’s been like a 10k fix no matter what brand. Pretty sure Bosch is gonna lose their class action lawsuit about it.

and lastly the Chevy Avalanche. Came out my senior year of high school. I loved them from day1. Even the ones with plastic rocker panel covers. Today’s quad cab truck owners owe a giant thanks to the avalanche for making that full sized cab, short truck bed leap. Back then quad cab pickups meant that you were stuck getting some giant 3/4 or 1 ton long bed. Or a Nissan.

Dec 11, 2010
Whats your thoughts on the
Eco-diesel Ram has.
Better price for sure.
Not certain about its comparability to old school D.
Have a friend that bought one- it was shortly after they came out. He is a Dodge guy and had a gasser that was eating him out of house and home when he pulled his boat. He has had that truck quite awhile and I don’t think he has had any trouble with it. I forget what he gets for mileage but it’s very good.

Tundra at 13 mpg toyota just hasnt improved on mpg.
That includes 4-runner & tacoma.
Hybrid will help, but at the extra cost for it??? +$10,000???
on top of already more pricey.

The Tundra mileage is pretty bad. Before I bought one I’d have to do a cost per mile driven analysis. My diesel only gets 17 mpg, I have never done the computer chip or exhaust. If I drove it the right way I would get 20 mpg but I cants stand to drive that slow.

The combination of cheaper fuel plus cheaper maintainance might even out the bad mileage..... I can spend $200 getting a dealership oiled change/normal service on that F-250. That hurts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AymeePitcherMom