Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
I will also say, for the Harper haters...leave the dude alone. The guy hit .260, will hit 35-37 homers, 110 RBI's, 100 runs scored.
And, the dude played one hell of an outfield and is tied for the most outfield assists in the NL. If the Phillies were in the playoffs,
MVP would be considered.
fightins fan here as well, and totally agree, Harper, while maybe not quite what was hoped for (would like to see BA and OBP a little higher), is not the reason, and he has been better defensively that I expected.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I feel bad for Realmuto...guy had one hell of a year for a catcher and beat himself up for the team catching like 18 games
more than the next closest one. Hit .280, 25 homers, scored 90+ runs, drove in almost 90...threw more runners out than anybody
else. I hope they sign him, he is a gamer.

People always blame the guy with the biggest paycheck...but this year falls on the front office (too much
confidence in a starting staff that proved nothing and lack of moves to help that staff) and bullpen injuries.

May 6, 2015
I feel bad for Realmuto...guy had one hell of a year for a catcher and beat himself up for the team catching like 18 games
more than the next closest one. Hit .280, 25 homers, scored 90+ runs, drove in almost 90...threw more runners out than anybody
else. I hope they sign him, he is a gamer.

People always blame the guy with the biggest paycheck...but this year falls on the front office (too much
confidence in a starting staff that proved nothing and lack of moves to help that staff) and bullpen injuries.

Realmuto absolutely had monster year, MVP type if they were in the hunt. his signing should be #1 priority, then go get pitching. I have DD watch his replays whenever we are watching a game.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Seeing as how much I like conversing with you and you seem to be such a sweetheart, I’ll keep my Philly opinions to myself!! ;)

But haha!

I'm assuming you're a Braves fan since your from the South. Unfortunately, even though I'm a Philly sports fan, sometimes our reputation for being the hardest fan base to play in front of is well deserved. But, your team did leave my team with a whole bunch of cleat marks all over them...especially Acuna. He was really rough on my beloved Phillies

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Phillies fan here as well Gabs. Cutch getting hurt was big for us, but bigger was the complete destruction of the bullpen
by injuries. Every main guy went down including all the people we signed...like 9 bullpen guys got hurt and most were season
ending in the beginning of the year. So we were pretty much getting guys off the scrap pile to throw. The bullpen
was dreadful.

BUT, worse was the front office thinking the starting pitching staff (rememeber, Arrieta was hurt all year too and
pitched terrible until they shut him down), besides Nola and Arrieta, was going to be good enough. None of these guys
were big league pitchers. Efflin had some good games, but all around terrible. Every single one was sent to the bullpen
or minors multiple times during the year.

And honestly, what pisses me off is the sheer lack of interest in Dallas Kuechel or Josh Donaldson for one year rentals
like Atlanta did for them. Donaldson is gonna hit 40 homers and Kuechel has a low 3 ERA. They got them both for cheap
one year contracts where it was a no brainer for a team...if they suck, you have nothing invested, if they did awesome...like
they did...you got a steal. Yet the Phillies did nothing. They didn't even make a run for JA Happ for a few bucks.

I will also say, for the Harper haters...leave the dude alone. The guy hit .260, will hit 35-37 homers, 110 RBI's, 100 runs scored.
And, the dude played one hell of an outfield and is tied for the most outfield assists in the NL. If the Phillies were in the playoffs,
MVP would be considered.

I totally agree. Cutch getting hurt was a huge blow for us. He was the heart of the outfield and the main gear of our offense outside of Harper and Realmuto (Then again...Segura and I'm drawing a blank on his double-play partner's name had a great year as well). Dubes arrest didn't help along with all the pitching injuries.

I know a lot of people didn't like the hiring of Kapler after the disaster the 2017 season was. But...the problems this season wasn't Kapler's fault. Sure, he made decisions that left me scratching my head wondering what he's doing. But your totally right, this season's disaster is left solely at the feet of Dave Montgomery and the rest of the Phillies upper management. Why couldn't have they gone after Kuegel and Kimbrall when they saw all the pitching injuries starting to mount? You had all that money laying around after you couldn't land either Mike Trout or Manny Machado (not that I really wanted him to be a Phillie and besides...is he all that much of an upgrade over Mikeal Franco?) I would say in this offseason we should resign Realmuto and go after Garrit Cole. But its going to take near Harper money per year to get him away from Houston is my hunch. I think we should pursue Madison Bumgardner. I think we could get him for fairly reasonable money. The only other thing I can think of is the Phillies could be looking to pursue the 2020 free-agent class and maybe an Allstar level pitcher comes out of that class. But, good luck to upper management staying around that long. What do you think?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm assuming you're a Braves fan since your from the South. Unfortunately, even though I'm a Philly sports fan, sometimes our reputation for being the hardest fan base to play in front of is well deserved. But, your team did leave my team with a whole bunch of cleat marks all over them...especially Acuna. He was really rough on my beloved Phillies
I definitely am a Braves fan, have been for many years, and for many years........many frustrations!! I have ALWAYS been a NL fan but over the last 10 / 12 years have just enjoyed the AL more. I love watching the Red Sox play, I'll stop whatever I'm doing to watch a
Sox / Yankess game, just love the rivalry between these two storied franchises!

I loved watching the Astros beat the Dodgers several years ago, GREAT World Series! If I'm not mistaken, Kershaw's salary alone was more than the entire Astro lineup........not the starting lineup, the entire roster, I may be off on that but it seems that I read that!

Teams I despise.......the Chicago Cubs and the Phillies (sorry gabby & Core), and the Dodgers, plus I've written off the Braves more times than I can count! Realistically, besides the 1995 World Series, just how many WS should the Braves have won with Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine?? Way more than that one, especially after winning 14 consecutive division titles in a row!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I totally agree. Cutch getting hurt was a huge blow for us. He was the heart of the outfield and the main gear of our offense outside of Harper and Realmuto (Then again...Segura and I'm drawing a blank on his double-play partner's name had a great year as well). Dubes arrest didn't help along with all the pitching injuries.

I know a lot of people didn't like the hiring of Kapler after the disaster the 2017 season was. But...the problems this season wasn't Kapler's fault. Sure, he made decisions that left me scratching my head wondering what he's doing. But your totally right, this season's disaster is left solely at the feet of Dave Montgomery and the rest of the Phillies upper management. Why couldn't have they gone after Kuegel and Kimbrall when they saw all the pitching injuries starting to mount? You had all that money laying around after you couldn't land either Mike Trout or Manny Machado (not that I really wanted him to be a Phillie and besides...is he all that much of an upgrade over Mikeal Franco?) I would say in this offseason we should resign Realmuto and go after Garrit Cole. But its going to take near Harper money per year to get him away from Houston is my hunch. I think we should pursue Madison Bumgardner. I think we could get him for fairly reasonable money. The only other thing I can think of is the Phillies could be looking to pursue the 2020 free-agent class and maybe an Allstar level pitcher comes out of that class. But, good luck to upper management staying around that long. What do you think?

I wasn't a fan of Hernandez and never will be at second. But for the money he is doable there. I like Kingery to play second
and bring up Boehm from the minors for third. I cant stand Franco at third and landing Donaldson to play third at this point is
going to take a multi-year deal and not worth it if they really think Boehm is the real deal as he is gonna be here in about a year.
They missed their damn chance to get Donaldson for a year or two rental. And I do not want Rendon for 10 years/300M if we
have a home grown talent to come up soon. That's why I just say bring Boehm up and say f it and deal with his growth and
put the money into another position needed. Remember, Realmuto isn't gonna be cheap either. And Hoskins is due up soon,
although after this past year...Im might would let him walk after next year, too many 1 baggers out there to be had for decent money
who can give you the same year Hoskins did, and even give you a better average. AND he is a Boras client, so I think
Hoskins is gonna be a cost casualty when he comes up for contract next year.

I never wanted Kimbrell...he also isn't doing well for Chicago on that 3 year deal...haha. I did want Kuechel for a year rental. He isnt
out of the question as still think a 2-3 year deal is doable for him. I WOULD LOVE COLE from the Astros in the offseason,
but its gonna cost a small fortune...prob like 200M over 6 years or so. I maybe would think about it because we NEED a stud
to team up with Nola and we have Nola signed for the next 5 years on the cheap side. And we can ditch Arrieta's salary
after next year so Cole's pay isn't out of the question. I have a bad feeling about Baumgardner and whoever signs him.
I just have a feeling he is gonna be one of those 5 year deals, and only be good for 2.

And Herrera was a thorn in my side for 2 years in this franchise...HATED him as a player. Couldn't stand him at the plate and
not a very good center fielder either. And after his legal crap...PEACE OUT!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi