Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We've all seen TV shows and movies with laser sights for firearms, pointing a laser beam at the firearm's target. Here's a little known fact...

My dad was part of the design team that first developed this technology for firearms (late '70s) The initial project was intended for LEO use only, and 3 versions were developed - Colt service revolver, shotgun, and AR-15/M-16.

For my dad's dedicated work on the project, the president of the company gifted him a Colt 1911 Gold Cup (just like this)
View attachment 15060
I'm not much of a gun guy, personally, but I have this and another of my dad's handguns tucked safely away.

My dad passed in '94. I miss him tremendously. Most of all, I wish he could have seen his awesome GDDs.
Awesome story Eric, very cool! Yep, I miss my dad way more than words could ever express!

What’s the other handgun? That Gold Cup screams old school Americana!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Those are some beautiful pistols. I've shot some Glock pistols before as well as H&K's and they're a lot of fun to shoot. A friend of my dad has a gun that looks like an H&K MP5 in semi-automatic and I think it's either a 9 mil or a .45. That gun is so much fun to shoot. I also bought my first pistol. I got a Taurus in a .45. I want to try to get my conceal carry permit but am not sure how to go about getting it. My dad conceal carries though and I'd like to follow in his footsteps. Granted, right now I carry a can of pepper spray since I'm in college but I don't feel the safest even with that.
gabby, are you going to college in your home State or out of State? Find a nice reputable gun shop in your area that has a range, most offer CCW classes or at least can point you to someone who does offer them.

I’ll have to renew mine in 2020, that’ll make 20 years I’ve had mine.

Pepper spray is definitely better than nothing, Anna carries it also! I tell her if she suspects anything is wrong or someone makes her feel very uncomfortable or scared.......blast them and don’t let up, we’ll deal with the consequences later! I’d much rather her (and me) get our hands slapped for being wrong than something really scary happen to her! Some may not agree with that approach but oh well.

Also gabby, now that you’re in college, there’s going to be parties, NEVER EVER drink out of an open cup and never let whatever you’re drinking out of your sight, in fact hold on to it and never sit it down!

Some AH slipping something in my DD’s drink terrifies me! We live in a different world, girls have to be smart and NEVER let their guard down!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
We def live in a different world my man, lots of people are all f'ed up and too many situations happen
to innocent people because they don't expect the worse from others.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
situations happen to innocent people because they don't expect the worse from others.
This right here!!!!! I'm glad to hear someone else say the same thing I've been preaching to my kids forever!

My two children (18 & 16) have seen a pistol EVERYDAY of theirs lives, we live that lifestyle, they know it, and they know why! In a sense both of my kids have been sheltered (somewhat), definitely more than I was growing up! In a perfect world I'd love for them to trust and like everyone.........but it's not a perfect world!

My kids don't see the bad in people, is that a good thing? And I'm typically skeptical of everyone, is that a bad thing? With travel ball being such a huge part of our lives for the last 7 or 8 years, the people (parents, moms & dads, coaches) that have run in our TB circles are the ones I've trusted right off the bat, can't explain it, must be just like minded people, never been burnt by any TB parents! I think that says a lot about our organization and the stand up guy who runs it!

Great post Core!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Back in the day, we lived in a small town and we all knew each other. Heck, I rode my bike into town which was prob a mile
or two away and stay out past dark and my parents had no worries. We could have left the door unlocked if we wanted
to...but still never did...haha. But we never locked the car doors or anything.
Then we found out later in time, the guy that owned the arcade/baseball card/remote control car store in town got in
trouble for having an issue with kids and pictures. Think that was my first introduction at an early age that sometimes people
aren't what they appear to be and to always be alert.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My two children aren't aware there are firearms in the house. That's the way I prefer it.
Just two guys with differing views / opinions, nothing wrong with that! With my two, especially my son, I took the intrigue and curiosity out of the subject

I wanted them, again especially him to know the seriousness, the power, and the reality of pulling a trigger. Now he’s like Ho-hum, yawn.

Just know, there’s NEVER a pistol left sitting out in my house, ever!

Dec 11, 2010
Just checked in on this thread after awhile!

Love that old Gold Cup. Real Americana is right. F-16’s, aircraft carriers, Colt pistols are about as American as it gets!

My dad was a police officer- he started working in 1970. One of the guys he worked with was quite a bit older and had been a machinist in the Navy. Working on Colt government pistols was a hobby. Apparently they killed time on the ship in the Pacific working on whatever guns were on the ship. He was the kind of person that could help set you on the right path. I know my dad looked up to him. They found an old Colt Government that had been manufactured by Remington Rand during WWII that had what they described as a “shot out barrel” and bought it. Think they paid $25 bucks for it as surplus. They rebuilt it. New barrel, worked the action and trigger, all that type stuff. Dad carried it as his duty weapon for many years.

Very few guns mean much to me. I have a couple shotguns from my duck hunting days that I wouldn’t part with but I had several chances to buy my former duty weapons back from my former employer. Even though I carried them for many years, they just didn’t mean anything to me. I don’t know why. Yet when my dad goes one day, that Government .45 is one of the two things he owns that I hope I get. The other is a plane Jane Remington 870 that he bought used in 1959.... Nether one are worth much but I really would like to have them.

Anyway, cool thread. I have a part time job that requires me to carry and I have been thinking about trading my boring old G27 for a H&K. Definitely a little more style!

Also, I was sad to hear about Rik Ocasek today. I always considered myself a rocker but The Cars were special. Ocasek was super cool, wish I had half the style that cat had!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Just checked in on this thread after awhile!

Love that old Gold Cup. Real Americana is right. F-16’s, aircraft carriers, Colt pistols are about as American as it gets!

My dad was a police officer- he started working in 1970. One of the guys he worked with was quite a bit older and had been a machinist in the Navy. Working on Colt government pistols was a hobby. Apparently they killed time on the ship in the Pacific working on whatever guns were on the ship. He was the kind of person that could help set you on the right path. I know my dad looked up to him. They found an old Colt Government that had been manufactured by Remington Rand during WWII that had what they described as a “shot out barrel” and bought it. Think they paid $25 bucks for it as surplus. They rebuilt it. New barrel, worked the action and trigger, all that type stuff. Dad carried it as his duty weapon for many years.

Very few guns mean much to me. I have a couple shotguns from my duck hunting days that I wouldn’t part with but I had several chances to buy my former duty weapons back from my former employer. Even though I carried them for many years, they just didn’t mean anything to me. I don’t know why. Yet when my dad goes one day, that Government .45 is one of the two things he owns that I hope I get. The other is a plane Jane Remington 870 that he bought used in 1959.... Nether one are worth much but I really would like to have them.

Anyway, cool thread. I have a part time job that requires me to carry and I have been thinking about trading my boring old G27 for a H&K. Definitely a little more style!

Also, I was sad to hear about Rik Ocasek today. I always considered myself a rocker but The Cars were special. Ocasek was super cool, wish I had half the style that cat had!
Great post Ww, I’ll comment more tomorrow at work. In the meantime, this P30 is a ridiculously great deal, have it shipped to a FFL near you! I bought one from CDNN and they were flawless to deal with! And keep your G27, yeah they’re boring looking but they work so so well!