Grand Slam Celebration called out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
No such rule.

Ok, so can you explain the rules, if any, around this sort of thing? I know a base coach can't 'help' a runner, ie push a runner towards a base, but I was pretty sure that the other players can't touch at least the hitter of a HR before they touch home. Is it possible that Indiana HS has this rule and no one else does? I thought all HS pretty much follow some nationally established rules.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
Ok, so can you explain the rules, if any, around this sort of thing? I know a base coach can't 'help' a runner, ie push a runner towards a base, but I was pretty sure that the other players can't touch at least the hitter of a HR before they touch home. Is it possible that Indiana HS has this rule and no one else does? I thought all HS pretty much follow some nationally established rules.

Thanks.

I cant give you a rule that doesn't exist. As I said, no such rule. I have no idea what special rules Indiana may have put into place, but there is no such rule in any nationally recognized rule set saying a runner cannot be touched before reaching home plate. My suspicions are if you have seen it called or told about it in Indiana you have umpires that don't know the rules.

Jun 22, 2008
I just looked at the Indiana softball site and its modifications and I see nothing even remotely resembling any rule saying a runner cannot be touched. The only modifications I see are about tie games, when tie breakers can be used and number of games that can be played in a season.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I just looked at the Indiana softball site and its modifications and I see nothing even remotely resembling any rule saying a runner cannot be touched. The only modifications I see are about tie games, when tie breakers can be used and number of games that can be played in a season.

We really need to find that MSU rule book online :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No such rule.

I am also not familiar with any such rule. That said, I instruct the players on our travel ball team to wait until all the runners cross the plate, and then high five all they want. Our coaches (including base coaches - I typically coach first) will also meet the hitter beyond home plate.

Last year during a high school game I saw a team receive a warning from the umpire for having players on the field without wearing helmets. The home run was hit and the players ran out of the dugout to greet her at home. Once the team returned to the dugout, the umpire walked over and announced the warning.

Feb 17, 2014

Thanks for looking into it. I will have to look into it more on my end and see where this comes from.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I think it's just one of those myths that have been around forever. Like hands are part of the bat, tie goes to the runner, you can't switch sides of the plate after 2 strikes. People have heard it so many times they believe it.

Jun 22, 2008
I am also not familiar with any such rule. That said, I instruct the players on our travel ball team to wait until all the runners cross the plate, and then high five all they want. Our coaches (including base coaches - I typically coach first) will also meet the hitter beyond home plate.

Last year during a high school game I saw a team receive a warning from the umpire for having players on the field without wearing helmets. The home run was hit and the players ran out of the dugout to greet her at home. Once the team returned to the dugout, the umpire walked over and announced the warning.

Pretty sure another made up rule. If Im not mistaken the rule says any offensive player outside the dugout during "live ball" action must be wearing a helmet. A home run is a dead ball so the rule would not apply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles