Grand Slam Celebration called out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Not the umpire's call. S/he didn't write the rule, the people who took the teams' money and paying the umpires make that call.

There is a saying in the umpiring community the "local rules are made by fools". This rule substantiates that. :)

Well, we were talking about the coach being a jerk for protesting it, not about the umpire enforcing it. Is that a rule though? My impression is that high fives are not against any rule.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, we were talking about the coach being a jerk for protesting it, not about the umpire enforcing it. Is that a rule though? My impression is that high fives are not against any rule.

Speaking USA Softball

The closest rule (other than what the locals tout) that would apply to this scenario would be for aiding the runner. Unless one of them physically pushed, dragged or led the runner to the plate, there is no violation.

Feb 17, 2014
I think there is a rule that the other players can't touch them until they touch home. Base coaches can high five but another player can't.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Last fall we had a USSSA ump call the batter runner out at 1st because she high fived the coach after touching the base. This was a player who was in a slump and was expressing her relief... His argument was that the 1st base coach was physically assisting her through the play.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Last fall we had a USSSA ump call the batter runner out at 1st because she high fived the coach after touching the base. This was a player who was in a slump and was expressing her relief... His argument was that the 1st base coach was physically assisting her through the play.

He assisted her AFTER she was safe? I wonder how that works exactly.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
He assisted her AFTER she was safe? I wonder how that works exactly.

Yeah - it was one of those games where it was called so badly that the two teams end up forming a sort of "bond".

By the 3rd inning he ordered the 1st base coach of the other team to stay away from our dugout and told her she could not talk to us anymore. He was on his phone fighting with the convenor in between innings to get down there and pay him. He threatened our bench over and over to tell the parents behind the backstop to shut up - they weren't our parents!! It was the team that had played before us who were still heckling him!

Hopefully he just had a bad day, on a positive note, we had some of the best officials I have ever seen this past weekend at a USSSA tournament in Michigan. They got into position on every play, invited questions and managed the games very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles