Gorilla Gold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I was online looking for something else and stumbled across this. Here is the NFHS's statement on Gorilla Gold from the 4/17/23 "Case situations and notes"

3/17 GORILLA GOLD FOR SOFTBALL PITCHERS

Softball

“We have determined that this product meets the specification in the rules,“ Theresia Wynns, Director of Sports and Officials Education for NFHS said. “The GG towel may be kept in the pocket. The pitching hand needs to be wiped off before taking the ball from the glove,” she added.

Jul 31, 2019
I apologize if it's covered here as I have not read through the entire post. Is Gorilla Gold legal in PGF?

May 29, 2015
It originated in golf, yes. Wait, that's the PGA ... shoot.

PGF uses NFHS as its basis. We are still debating what "legal" means, so I will say "not necessarily illegal."

Oh ... and I forgot ... I got a baseball pitcher using rock resin last weekend. No, we didn't eject him, we just took it off the field and told the coach to make sure his pitchers don't use it. My hand was sticky after picking it up.

Nov 18, 2022
It originated in golf, yes. Wait, that's the PGA ... shoot.

PGF uses NFHS as its basis. We are still debating what "legal" means, so I will say "not necessarily illegal."

Oh ... and I forgot ... I got a baseball pitcher using rock resin last weekend. No, we didn't eject him, we just took it off the field and told the coach to make sure his pitchers don't use it. My hand was sticky after picking it up.

100% powdered rosin will leave the hand tacky just like rock rosin and we have seen overzealous umps swear up and down it is "rock rosin" because if it gets a little damp it will become granular and clump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2, 2022
Just my two cents - I'm going to have my dd stop using GG. Too much hassle with other coaches, umps and so forth...Had an issue this weekend in an ASA rules tournament and don't want her labeled as a cheater. Ump had her stop using it in 3rd inning after strong complaints from opposing coaches. After the game I talked with the ump and he claimed he had never heard or seen it. He wasn't too interested in going down the rabbit hole of learning about it either...

Not worth making a spectacle...Given how infrequent the use of it is in some parts of the country - it's a constant battle with coaches, umps...

May 29, 2015
Just my two cents - I'm going to have my dd stop using GG. Too much hassle with other coaches, umps and so forth...Had an issue this weekend in an ASA rules tournament and don't want her labeled as a cheater. Ump had her stop using it in 3rd inning after strong complaints from opposing coaches. After the game I talked with the ump and he claimed he had never heard or seen it. He wasn't too interested in going down the rabbit hole of learning about it either...

Not worth making a spectacle...Given how infrequent the use of it is in some parts of the country - it's a constant battle with coaches, umps...

I hate to say this and I will take some flak, but that is probably the most appropriate response for that umpire. USA and other sanctions allowed the manufacturer to muddy the waters by claiming it is legal. It isn’t. It is legal when used legally and illegal when used illegally.

This is just like the stupid “if the umpire seems it dangerous” provision with jewelry. If they aren’t going to provide training, umpires will just blanketly allow it or blanketly disallow it. We aren’t picking the scabs the org created.

Substances are supposed to be DRYING AGENTS not sticky or tacky so you can get a better grip. If that was the intent, there would be no rule against it.

May 29, 2015
100% powdered rosin will leave the hand tacky just like rock rosin and we have seen overzealous umps swear up and down it is "rock rosin" because if it gets a little damp it will become granular and clump

If it is leaving the hand tacky, then it is illegal no matter what it is. If it doesn’t “poof” it isnt powder and it is illegal. Sorry if your powder got wet, but if you can’t prove it is powder, it isn’t.

Nov 18, 2022
If it is leaving the hand tacky, then it is illegal no matter what it is. If it doesn’t “poof” it isnt powder and it is illegal. Sorry if your powder got wet, but if you can’t prove it is powder, it isn’t.

So you are saying 100% true powdered rosin is illegal then- that is a big statement when powdered rosin is approved in all abc's.
Any rosin that gets damp will not poof and is still easy to tell it is not rock rosin

May 29, 2015
I am saying that to declare it “100% legal” is an oversimplification.

My bat could be legal until it changes (damaged, intentionally altered, etc.). It is still on a legal bat list, but that particular bat is no longer legal.
It isn’t about the product or the name that is on it, it is about the effect it has. Is that effect still within the purview of the rules?

If your powder rosin bag is leaving a tacky or sticky residue on your hand, it is not legal. Period. I don’t care what you call it or what name brand is stamped on it. Powdered rosin that is no longer powder is no longer powdered rosin.

When the only training an umpire gets is “if it poofs, it is powder; if it doesn’t, it isn’t” (IF they even get that) then this is the outcome.

Just like taking care of your bats and helmets, you should take care of your rosin bag.

Nov 18, 2022
I am saying that to declare it “100% legal” is an oversimplification.

My bat could be legal until it changes (damaged, intentionally altered, etc.). It is still on a legal bat list, but that particular bat is no longer legal.
It isn’t about the product or the name that is on it, it is about the effect it has. Is that effect still within the purview of the rules?

If your powder rosin bag is leaving a tacky or sticky residue on your hand, it is not legal. Period. I don’t care what you call it or what name brand is stamped on it. Powdered rosin that is no longer powder is no longer powdered rosin.

When the only training an umpire gets is “if it poofs, it is powder; if it doesn’t, it isn’t” (IF they even get that) then this is the outcome.

Just like taking care of your bats and helmets, you should take care of your rosin bag.

I never said to declare it 100 percent legal but my point was powdered rosin is an approved drying agent and if you are truly using a 100% pure powdered rosin it will ALWAYS leave a tack on the hand so in effect all powdered rosin is illegal according to the written rules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi