GoPro helmet cam

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
While at the fields last night, I observed a girl come to the plate with a GoPro attached to the top of her helmet.

It was an 8u rec game, so I didn't say anything about it, but I wanted to ask whether this is becoming a thing in other parts of the country, as I'd never seen it before.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
No, but it is illegal.

If the P or any player on our Team had an Issue with it, it would be gone.

RF says something, it is gone.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Obviously, I sort of have skin in this game, so I am clearly biased. However, I cannot stand to watch POV video. The only time I ever found it useful to mount a camera to my kid's head was to prove to him (my baseball player) that he wasn't keeping his head in at contact. We watched the video and I told him that if he didn't see the ball hit the bat at playback, he didn't see it during the swing. But this was just BP and not an actual game. But man, watching POV video will make you sea sick. There is just too much movement. With that said, it is pretty neat to add POV video as a picture in picture addition to fixed mounted video. But I'm sort of "ate up" with the multi-camera angle videos.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The only time I ever found it useful to mount a camera to my kid's head was to prove to him (my baseball player) that he wasn't keeping his head in at contact. We watched the video and I told him that if he didn't see the ball hit the bat at playback, he didn't see it during the swing.

Not quite true. Eyeballs have the advantage of being able to turn in their socket. ;)

That said, if the GoPro is set for a wide viewing angle, and you still can't see contact, your point might be valid. :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The only time I ever found it useful to mount a camera to my kid's head was to prove to him (my baseball player) that he wasn't keeping his head in at contact
he didn't see the ball hit the bat at playback, he didn't see it during the swing.
k20m01.jpg

xf485v.gif

jsc6ll.jpg

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Not quite true. Eyeballs have the advantage of being able to turn in their socket. ;)

That said, if the GoPro is set for a wide viewing angle, and you still can't see contact, your point might be valid. :)

I think you guys are missing my point. Yes the eyes can look elsewhere, but the nose should following it in. The mounted camera doesn't care where the eyes are looking, only where the head is pointed; and it should be pointed to the contact point. Now if we could get a second feed that shows where the eyes are looking....that would be awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA