GoPro for beginners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I had it with GoPro. I'm returning some stuff I recently bought and I'm selling my Hero 4 Black as well as many of its accessories on eBay... as soon as the factory returns a good working camera to me. It's been more than a month that I had sent the camera to the factory because of the WiFi interference issue causing thumping/helicopter sounds in the recording. They sent me a new one with the same problem. I return back and it's been about 2 weeks since they received the second one and they have not figured out how to send a camera that works.

At least they respond to my emails from time to time, but this is taking too much time.

Since I needed a camera, I just bought the Sony HDRA S200V. After reading the reviews and doing a full assessment, I think this camera is much better than the GoPro Hero 4 series. I also bought a GoPro mounting adapter for it, so I get to keep all of my mounting accessories.

I'll report back when I test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting on the thumping noises. Maybe its aliens trying to communicate with you?? Sometimes they are like that.

Gopro is pretty good about getting a camera back to you.Ive been impressed with their CS.

Aug 11, 2016
Interesting on the thumping noises. Maybe its aliens trying to communicate with you?? Sometimes they are like that.

Gopro is pretty good about getting a camera back to you.Ive been impressed with their CS.

The thumping issue is a well known defect on Hero series.

See this video.... https://youtu.be/0cKKLpnLmHg

Video also shows all you need to do prior to send the camera (like sending a sample video, etc...). I had to follow that procedure twice, even with the same camera they sent me that was supposed to be good.

They had been communicating, but only when I inquire (which is not as expected).

But the fact is that they have a big problem with this interference issue, that they had not publicly recognized, then having people going through this pain, it is not what I expected from a company like GoPro.

Personally, I think GoPro is a good camera, but I also think it is a bit overrated, after my own experience with it.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
The thumping issue is a well known defect on Hero series.

See this video.... https://youtu.be/0cKKLpnLmHg

Video also shows all you need to do prior to send the camera (like sending a sample video, etc...). I had to follow that procedure twice, even with the same camera they sent me that was supposed to be good.

They had been communicating, but only when I inquire (which is not as expected).

But the fact is that they have a big problem with this interference issue, that they had not publicly recognized, then having people going through this pain, it is not what I expected from a company like GoPro.

Personally, I think GoPro is a good camera, but I also think it is a bit overrated, after my own experience with it.

Just reading up on this. You may have to update the firmware to get rid of the issue.

Aug 11, 2016
Just reading up on this. You may have to update the firmware to get rid of the issue.

That's part of the extensive procedure you have to follow to request the warranty. Need to update firmware and then record a sample video.

This is not a firmware issue... It is a hardware issue and they know it.

They are shipping out lemon GoPro's without appropriate quality check.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
That's part of the extensive procedure you have to follow to request the warranty. Need to update firmware and then record a sample video.

This is not a firmware issue... It is a hardware issue and they know it.

They are shipping out lemon GoPro's without appropriate quality check.

I was reading the youtube comments on the link you gave me. A poster replied thats what they did and it worked?? Just a suggestion...........

Aug 11, 2016
I was reading the youtube comments on the link you gave me. A poster replied thats what they did and it worked?? Just a suggestion...........

In my case is hardware...

I'm trying to say that I did upgrade the firmware both times to the latest version and it didn't solve the issue. Same with the guy in the video...

There is a known hardware issue that is affecting quality of many units, they are not checking the quality and shipping out the units.

There may be some with firmware issues, but there are many with hardware issues. I had research this extensively.

I thought I would had a quick solution, but I'm just tired of waiting. From the emails they are sending, it seems they had no idea what to do. For two weeks they had been telling me "we are testing the audio of your camera". It took me less than 30 minutes to check the quality of the one I received.

I have a friend that have the Sony (he had the GoPro before) and he had not looked back and will not go back to GoPro again. Quality of video and contrast is much better.

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
In my case is hardware...

I'm trying to say that I did upgrade the firmware both times to the latest version and it didn't solve the issue. Same with the guy in the video...

There is a known hardware issue that is affecting quality of many units, they are not checking the quality and shipping out the units.

There may be some with firmware issues, but there are many with hardware issues. I had research this extensively.

I thought I would had a quick solution, but I'm just tired of waiting. From the emails they are sending, it seems they had no idea what to do. For two weeks they had been telling me "we are testing the audio of your camera". It took me less than 30 minutes to check the quality of the one I received.

I have a friend that have the Sony (he had the GoPro before) and he had not looked back and will not go back to GoPro again. Quality of video and contrast is much better.

Cool. I haven't used the Sony, I was thinking of getting a Cannon, one of the parents had one and had a great zoom to it.

Aug 11, 2016
Cool. I haven't used the Sony, I was thinking of getting a Cannon, one of the parents had one and had a great zoom to it.

I didn't know Canon had action cams... Important things to consider is, you should look into having an action cam that is water splash resistant when is naked (without the case) and also that you are able to put in a case that is water proof, in case of rain.

I was looking at the Canon site and didn't see any action cams. The one I saw that was small (Vixia) doesn't seem to be water splash proof. Unless they have something else.

Just a thought.

That, if you are going to use it with a fence mounting system like LynkSpyder or fenceclip.

If you are going to record from your seat or from the stands, you can use whatever makes you happier...

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
I didn't know Canon had action cams... Important things to consider is, you should look into having an action cam that is water splash resistant when is naked (without the case) and also that you are able to put in a case that is water proof, in case of rain.

I was looking at the Canon site and didn't see any action cams. The one I saw that was small (Vixia) doesn't seem to be water splash proof. Unless they have something else.

Just a thought.

That, if you are going to use it with a fence mounting system like LynkSpyder or fenceclip.

If you are going to record from your seat or from the stands, you can use whatever makes you happier...

cannon does not have an action cam. Just a standard camcorder to zoom in. Its really clear on the zoom

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
cannon does not have an action cam. Just a standard camcorder to zoom in. Its really clear on the zoom

Just because of the "compact cameras" that shoot video. The EU tax cameras and camcorders differently. If they call it a "camera" (and paid the appropriate taxes for a "camera") it will usually have a limitation of 29 minutes of video recording time. If it is a camcorder, this is generally not the case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi