GoPro hero 8 and power bank

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
I am having a problem using a power bank with my hero 8. Maybe I am doing something out of sequence. I turn on the camera and plug in the ankor 10000mah power bank. Camera shows charging. Problem is that the camera is running off the internal battery. It went dead and the power bank did not take over. Missed a great comeback by our girls last night. Any advice? I'm thinking about taking out the internal battery and just running off the power bank. Also thinking that I may need to start the recording and then plug in the power bank(been trying to find something on youtube). Not sure if the sequence matters.

thanks

Aug 15, 2021
If you plug in an external power bank, it should power the camera from that instead of internal battery once you start recording. My Hero 9, and I am assuming Hero 8 is the same, will not charge an internal battery if you have an external power source plugged in while recording. Since yours is still running off internal battery when you are recording, you may want to check that your cable and external power source is working correctly.

Aug 18, 2020
Best thing to do is remove the internal battery. The power bank alone can handle it. Amazon sells the closing latch for the battery that has an opening for the cable and this way you dont have to keep the latch open and risk all the dust getting into the camera.

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I do have the battery latch with the opening for charging. I used the battery pack to charge a phone so i know it's working. I charged the gopro with the same cable this morning. I played with it a little and it looks like if i plug the gopro in before starting the recording, it runs off the internal battery. If i start the recording and then plug in the power supply, it will run off the external power. I don't know if that is normal or not. I may just remove the battery and go from there.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The GoPro cameras are prone to overheating when keeping the internal battery charging. Take the battery out and run it on the external using the battery bypass door. I bought it through GoPro on their website for around $20.

Nov 4, 2015
Got to the game late today, but recorded 6 innings with no problem. Worked as long as i start the recording and then plug it in. May remove the battery completely just to make sure i don't screw up. On a side note, the only game i record without a screwup is a loss. Maybe i shouldn't be recording.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
For the HERO9 and 10, we recommend removing the internal battery for heat related issues. GoPro added battery detection logic in their firmware and will shutdown the camera earlier when the internal battery is in place. The HERO8 does not have this detection (to my knowledge). And additionally, there should be logic in place to not charge the internal battery when recording. However, the only 2 negatives to running without the internal battery is the loss of the clock (if the battery is removed for too long) and an emergency power source if something happens to the externals. So running without the internal battery can help dissipate motherboard heat due to the open void where the battery was. One last suggestion would be to ensure the external power supply is plugged in and on before turning on the GoPro. This was required in the older GoPro cameras as it would otherwise set the internal battery as the primary. We've continued the practice out of an abundance of caution.

Nov 4, 2015
For the HERO9 and 10, we recommend removing the internal battery for heat related issues. GoPro added battery detection logic in their firmware and will shutdown the camera earlier when the internal battery is in place. The HERO8 does not have this detection (to my knowledge). And additionally, there should be logic in place to not charge the internal battery when recording. However, the only 2 negatives to running without the internal battery is the loss of the clock (if the battery is removed for too long) and an emergency power source if something happens to the externals. So running without the internal battery can help dissipate motherboard heat due to the open void where the battery was. One last suggestion would be to ensure the external power supply is plugged in and on before turning on the GoPro. This was required in the older GoPro cameras as it would otherwise set the internal battery as the primary. We've continued the practice out of an abundance of caution.
Thanks for the reply. It's weird because the 8 seems to pull from the internal battery if i plug it in before starting the recording. But if i start the recording and then plug it in, it pulls from the external battery. I know that sounds backwards, but it is how it's working. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee