Good practice drills on conversion and back and forth between 40' and 43'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
ASA has not formally said it will go to 43' at 14u, and many girls are switching the distance for high school and a league that goes unnamed. I never want the girls to focus on release point, that is best handled in terms of other elements or spinning the ball.

I pitched from 40' for 20 years, and I find it difficult to switch to 43' when I go out there (don't bring up age either, thanks, ha ha), although it is good for the riseball....urgh...

If it just comes natural for the girls then I will be a happy teacher! This is all made harder by some coaches who will want them to tryout at 40. Many pitcing rubbers here are in the way, so I see from camps, they still have them pitch the 40' so the pitches are high (of course!).

Really, besides the obvious long toss or just throwing from both distances, what are some good practice drills? What are good thoughts so not have the 'just throw it harder' mentality which leads to break down, just like talk of release point?

I know all about the leg drive; I am small. Some girls are throwing breaking pitches while others are new to it, so the easy answer of spinning the ball more is not universal.
Thanks!

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
This is all made harder by some coaches who will want them to tryout at 40. Many pitcing rubbers here are in the way, so I see from camps, they still have them pitch the 40' so the pitches are high (of course!).

A quick easy solution I use when the rubber is at 40' at a tryout or a practice session with my daughter is to put a "throw down" home plate three feet behind the permanent plate. Then I cover the permanent home plate with loose clay and set up to catch behind the "throw down" plate. Works like a charm.

Since my DD is one of those 14U's that currently pitch 43' in High School and 40' in travel I have her pitch at both distances. Using a "Throw Down" home plate and loose clay allows us to work both distances easily.

Apr 27, 2009
Good idea. The dirt is usually all over the plate anyway. But half the coaches don't get the dilemma for the pitchers....they don't seem to know about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA