Gold Team Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
DD was on a 16u A team that disbanded. We have been going to tryouts and she was invited to play on a 16u gold team within the same organization. The issue I am having, she is one of two 04’s on the team. The majority of the young’s ladies seem to be 05-06 which would leave us moving on next summer to 18u Having not been in this situation before since she has usually stayed within her year group. Do we look at the younger team or stay with similar 04s? They are looking at some of the Fall Showcase events to play, depending on covid. Just wanting to get some feedback and direction. Thank you!

Jul 31, 2015
Playing time. Playing time. Playing time.

You don’t get better if you’re not on the field!

Go where there’s the most opportunity right now, continue to develop and then see what the options are.

If the org has an 18s team and she does well they’ll surely offer her a slot or at least a tryout for next year. If they don’t have 18s but they want to keep the 16s playing together after a successful Fall, nothing prevents them from playing as 18s next summer.

Worst case, she continues to develop and gets a very nice recommendation and help from her current coaches to find a place to play next year.

There’s always a market for solid players with good attitudes.

Good luck!

Mar 6, 2018

Go where there’s the most opportunity right now, continue to develop and then see what the options are.

If the org has an 18s team and she does well they’ll surely offer her a slot or at least a tryout for next year. If they don’t have 18s but they want to keep the 16s playing together after a successful Fall, nothing prevents them from playing as 18s next summer.

Worst case, she continues to develop and gets a very nice recommendation and help from her current coaches to find a place to play next year.

Good luck!

Shiloh, Certainly agree with playing time. Thank you!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Is recruitment a goal?
Look at Team schedule compairisons! And Coaches track record on helping make connections!
Also sb is not an age bracket.
Its talent levels.
18u could work now also.

Apr 26, 2015
My DD was in a similar situation. She went with the 18gold team because she did not want to be the oldest girl on the team anymore. She had been the oldest girl on the team for the past 3 years (only by 17 days but still). There are no seniors on her HS team and she wanted one last opportunity to play with girls older than her before she goes to play in college. It will be a challenge for sure - the roster is bigger than she's used to and this is the premier team in our state. Fielding - she is definitely one of the best around at her position, during club season she was hitting around .500 all year, but now in HS she is in a slump. She needs to find a way out or she knows she won't see much play time on her new team. The great thing about DD is she loves a challenge. She doesn't like someone to outplay her - so I know she will push herself to earn play time. Hoping for the best! Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013

Good luck!

Playing time with and against B players will keep her a B player. Playing time is certainly a factor, but competitiveness and coaching are far more important when it comes to improving and recruiting. You get better by the work you put in off the field. Playing time is the reward for that. Find a team where she has a chance to play. Not one where she starts simply because everyone else isn’t very good.

Mar 6, 2018
Is recruitment a goal?
Look at Team schedule compairisons! And Coaches track record on helping make connections!
Also sb is not an age bracket.
Its talent levels.
18u could work now also.

Recruitment is a goal. She has been approached from a couple of coaches at smaller schools, just conversations. I have thought about bumping up to 18u as well to go ahead and let her get used to stronger pitchers and the speed of the game.

Mar 6, 2018
My DD was in a similar situation. We went with the 18gold team because DD did not want to be the oldest girl on the team anymore. She had been the oldest girl on the team for the past 3 years (only by 17 days but still). There are no seniors on her HS team and she wanted one last opportunity to play with girls older than her before she goes to play in college. It will be a challenge for sure - the roster is bigger than she's used to and this is the premier team in our state. Fielding - she is definitely one of the best around at her position, during club season she was hitting around .500 all year, but now in HS she is in a slump. She needs to find a way out or she knows she won't see much play time on her new team. The great thing about DD is she loves a challenge. She doesn't like someone to outplay her - so I know she will push herself to earn play time. Hoping for the best! Good luck with your decision!

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate your advice!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Playing time with and against B players will keep her a B player. Playing time is certainly a factor, but competitiveness and coaching are far more important when it comes to improving and recruiting. You get better by the work you put in off the field. Playing time is the reward for that. Find a team where she has a chance to play. Not one where she starts simply because everyone else isn’t very good.
Exactly! Getting playing time with the Hittin' Kittens playing the Hoppin' Kangaroos will not help anyone. But yes, your DD can get recruited from those teams. Just depends on the goals.

Feb 21, 2017
Recruitment is a goal. She has been approached from a couple of coaches at smaller schools, just conversations. I have thought about bumping up to 18u as well to go ahead and let her get used to stronger pitchers and the speed of the game.

At the same age (with one child) we made the mistake of not playing at the highest level possible in the most reputable organization we could find.

I don’t know how your daughter has done on the teams she has been on but if she is going to play in college she will have to compete for her position on the team. Having a bit of competition now will help her and may have her reevaluate her commitment.

This also builds a reputation and familiarity with that team’s coaches. It doesn’t mean an organization is going to do her recruiting for her but they might be the nudge to get her into a school she likes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma