GOLD/A/B/C Why do we have it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Me too. But it begs a question - Why is this admirable, yet when a travel team calls itself gold and gets pounded in national qualifiers, they are mocked?

The community team is challenging themselves and when they're competitive, win or lose, they gain respect. The wannabe Gold team gets mocked when they lose because they build themselves up as something they're not.

In other cases a Gold team will get mocked because others are jealous or insecure and feel the need to put down everyone else.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Do you know how to spell the word GOLD correctly?
Do you have room on your jersey for extra word?
Do you have the budget to pay for those extra 4 letters on your jerseys?

If you answered yes to most of these questions, then congratulations you are a GOLD team !

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I understand that you can call yourself Gold. But I would think on the East Coast there is maybe a dozen true Gold teams. There's a 16U team in my area that went to Gold Nationals and I don't consider them a Gold team. They went 0-4. I posted this because I never put too much thought into what we called ourselves. I guess if you can go to a college camp and have gold on all your stuff it intimidates the others.

Apr 8, 2013
I respect the team that ranks themselves high, but goes 1-5 in a weekend.

I do NOT respect the team that ranks themselves low and goes 6-0 in a weekend, and then brags on FB about how they won such-and-such tournament outscoring opponents 40-5 over the weekend. Left one of those after one spring of that crap.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Gold- Used to be if you were classed Gold, you weren't allowed to play any tournament but ASA Gold. Original intent to have only top tier 18U, now 16U teams that are primarily filled with DI players
A- High level travel team that draws players from a wide area
B- Travel team that draws players from one league or area
C- Rec All Star type team

I would honestly say at this point most travel teams are legit B teams. Your A teams are trying to qualify for ASA Nationals. Gold teams are playing PGF. JMHO

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Gold- Used to be if you were classed Gold, you weren't allowed to play any tournament but ASA Gold. Original intent to have only top tier 18U, now 16U teams that are primarily filled with DI players
A- High level travel team that draws players from a wide area
B- Travel team that draws players from one league or area
C- Rec All Star type team

I would honestly say at this point most travel teams are legit B teams. Your A teams are trying to qualify for ASA Nationals. Gold teams are playing PGF. JMHO

I think this is more area specific. Does not apply to my area. I live in an area where "B" is pulling girls from nearly 2 hours away. The only thing keeping my DD's team from being "A" is one more quality pitcher, the team has 2 but can't find a 3rd arm especially not one capable of winning games.

Nov 18, 2013
I understand that you can call yourself Gold. But I would think on the East Coast there is maybe a dozen true Gold teams. There's a 16U team in my area that went to Gold Nationals and I don't consider them a Gold team. They went 0-4. I posted this because I never put too much thought into what we called ourselves. I guess if you can go to a college camp and have gold on all your stuff it intimidates the others.

Actually Gold Nationals are several tiers below other national tournaments as far as prestige and competitiveness. The term Gold now commonly just refers to the top team in an organization and doesn't indicate a level of play.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I think this is more area specific. Does not apply to my area. I live in an area where "B" is pulling girls from nearly 2 hours away. The only thing keeping my DD's team from being "A" is one more quality pitcher, the team has 2 but can't find a 3rd arm especially not one capable of winning games.

Here either. There are many District classed B league all star teams around here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan