Going to lessons~What plan and path did you take?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pretty sure if you're giving lessons you've identified the player's becoming their own best coaches, and those who go to instruction for long periods of time and still can't diagnose what's wrong with their own swing.
As a coach/instructor ultimately you need to fill your schedule and hopefully have kids who really are working.
These player's step into the box with with nobody. They need to own the results of the work being put in.
I take no credit for how great or terrible a player performs. If everyone is doing the job in this arrangement success is in the results.

I'd be more concerned with a player going 4 different instructors in 3 year's than going to 4 teams in 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Agree! Players need to be responsible for their individual goals!

Lessons are to communicate what to do to reach goals.

Have experienced people calling who say
"We're playing next week in a big tournament. Daughters been popping up all season. Can you fix it?"
Like its there car.
'We're going to Aunt Trudys next weekend. Cars not slowing down like it used to. And the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.
Can you fix it?'

Bad habits can be replaced.
Can identify what part of swing may need an adjustment.
But you have to replace those parts yourself!
*Does anyone know how long that will take?
Usually not until they put in the time, and add up the hours! ;)

What have found to be,
Everyone has a different learning curve.
And
Not everyone applies themself to the learning curve the same!

Plan for goals accordingly!!!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
Pretty sure you missed my point!
Pretty sure you missed my point.

For anyone who has never had a great instructor for your DD, whether it be for hitting, pitching, fielding, conditioning, whatever.....I feel sorry for you! Seeing positive gains is what this game is all about!
Great instructors are able to identify and apply.
Results shouldnt take long.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Pretty sure you missed my point.

Great instructors are able to identify and apply.
Results shouldnt take long.
100% agree!! My post was for the countless parents who can't find that great instructor, or keep going to the same one who just takes their money and keeps doing the same thing time after time! If you read here enough, you'll see that scenario quite often!

We've had those GREAT instructors, that's why I said I feel sorry for those who haven't!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
100% agree!! My post was for the countless parents who can't find that great instructor, or keep going to the same one who just takes their money and keeps doing the same thing time after time! If you read here enough, you'll see that scenario quite often!

We've had those GREAT instructors, that's why I said I feel sorry for those who haven't!
@ANNASDAD,
Please share how you 'came to know' when you found the right instructor?!
Imagine went to more than 1?
What stood out when you found that great instructor?!

👍GO ANNASDAD

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Look forward to the read! Thnx!
Okay, without me making this an incredibly long post, Anna has had six personal paid instructors. She had 3 pitching coaches from 10U through 18U, and 3 hitting coaches from 12U through 18U.

Loved (or really liked) all six of them and think more than the World of five of them! The exception being the very first hitting instructor when she was in 12U. Don’t get me wrong, great guy who played Triple-A and definitely knew what he was doing! It just wasn’t a fit....he had no clue how to talk to my then 11 year old daughter. He was a college coach who would ask her the same questions he would ask a 20/22 year old college player and she didn’t have the answers! Doesn’t make him a bad instructor, they just weren’t compatible then and Anna was never comfortable around him!

He handed us off to another female college coach and it‘s a lifelong bond still to this day! I’ll never forget her first lesson with this new coach and afterwards getting in the car and calling my wife with this childlike excitement and telling my wife how awesome she was!

Anna got older, more mature, and a better player, the last hitting and pitching coaches were just part of that maturing process. Both D1 players who could talk the talk, and just get it done! They were both fun to be around but would get real serious when there was something they didn’t like!

They would both make her pay for her, say of lack enthusiasm, both would make her run, do push-ups, whatever it took to get her attention! The PC used to call them “activities” ;)

Those last two coaches absolutely got the most out of her and I’m indebted to both of them!

The funny thing about the last hitting instructor (which BTW was introduced to us at a showcase by the 2nd hitting instructor) was at our very first lesson with her, she came right out and said she was a sub-par hitter in college at best! I remember thinking.......that ain’t good! BUT, she had a fantastic eye and she knew how to teach what she couldn’t do herself! And she was absolutely right! Of all the games and competitions in practice we used to have with other girls on our HS field, Anna’s best number was 17 homers over a 206’ fence at one single lesson. At that time she was 5’0” and 130lbs.

I could go on for a while but I’ll stop right here! Those instructors were just part of the process for us and I’ll never regret the money I spent with them, plus those are great memories for me!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My DD started pitching in 10u and was involved with group lessons right away. It was setup by the team coach who had a contact with a pitcher from one of the local colleges. It was okay....all of the girls had no pitching experience so it was really just establishing a base. The group would see her once a week. We’d practice at home and I’d essentially just make sure she wasn’t breaking the rules. Short of that I had zero idea about pitching mechanics.

Fast forward to her first off season going into 12u I knew we needed someone to help her start taking the next step. We got VERY lucky and found a pitching instructor who I hope she stays with until she decides to stop pitching. He doesn’t blow smoke. And he educates the whole time. He’s a big believer in having his pitchers understand why things go wrong. She is learning not just how to do it right by why. And, if something is going wrong, building her toolbox on how to fix it in game. He is also huge on not seeing pitchers weekly. His preference is to see them maybe once a month to every couple months. He and DD work on a couple specific issues, and then he sends us home to work. He’ll spend the entire hour working from bottom up educating both of us so we can practice efficiently at home. It’s been huge. We also send video clips of successes and continued issues for his feedback. He’s helped her so much. As well as helping me understand the position. I can now sit and catch for DD and pick out the hiccups. But we learn something new every time we go see him.

Hitting is something I’ve recently made the decision to go see an instructor about. I played hockey all of my life so in terms of mechanics I’m little help. I read online, I watch YouTube, I (try) to watch elite hitters, but I can admit when I’m out of my element. She seems to hit well. But, like pitching, there’s so much I don’t know that I need an “expert” to watch her and make suggestions. She actually listens to me for hitting but I know there’s more in her that I don’t know how to get out. So we’ve been recommended to an instructor who coaches one of the local high school teams (they are very competitive and hit really well). So we will see how it goes. My hope is that her hitting lesson cadence will end up similar to her pitching lessons. See the instructor a few times and then go to work at home. Then come back after a month or two and evaluate. We’ll see....I’m excited for her to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2020
A lot of great replies. A huge issue with private instructors occurs when the private instructor and the team coach are not on the same page. Conflicting instruction from the coach and the private instructor can create a nightmare in a young girls head.
Interesting concept with my DD. The HC is a pitching guru. He won’t touch a girls swing if he knows she’s seeing someone for lessons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles