Going to lessons~What plan and path did you take?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD likes group lessons. She wants to be told what to do and leave her alone for a little bit see if she can figure it out.

She went to IMO one of the best coaches in our area. DD did not enjoy it, because they paid too much attention to her.

Each their own.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Although we're not using them now, both Anna's hitting & pitching coaches were on our Christmas shopping list, they were that awesome! For anyone who has never had a great instructor for your DD, whether it be for hitting, pitching, fielding, conditioning, whatever.....I feel sorry for you! Seeing positive gains is what this game is all about!

Feb 3, 2016
What age is this applied to?

Was your list of good / bad
Based on what you saw the student player doing?
Or
What the instructors are teaching?
Did you actually attend those lessons?
14-18 year old players

The instructor's who can actually coach have successfully created capable players from Middle School to College. Long list of successful players. Using batting for my response but pitching is comparable with slight differences.

The terrible instructor's are taking money and working parents by telling them and their DD how great they are. Kids going to a bad instructor will ground out, strike out or pop up balls every weekend for the entire season. Serious flaws in technique. Pure luck if actually getting hits and successfully reaching base.
List of players associated is dismissal.

What tells you the most. Parents and kids that won't follow instructions from the good instructor's, or coaches and the good coaches/ good instructor's don't want the kid's who don't work, or don't listen so it all works itself out naturally.

Happens on occasion when a naturally gifted person will go to a terrible instructor and they are just getting "repetitions only". That terrible coach uses that one player to sucker the rest in. That player was successful prior to this instructor.

If you've never had an issue getting scheduled with current instructor maybe you need to investigate why. I want all players to be successful but they need to want it more than I want it for them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2017
Great point!
Conflicting coach vs. instructor.

How do people approach that?
Just had a hitting lesson today where her coach was complaining about her new move out and wanted her to take a quick jab step instead of what she had recently changed to which was more of a leg kick (said something about being vulnerable to change ups). In lessons doing her thing she smashes in games after getting yelled at to change she’s all arms. The way I approach it as an instructor is not bad mouthing the coach saying their wrong and all that. I keep it real simple it’s your swing I’ve given you my thoughts your coach has given his thoughts you need to decide what fits you. Now not saying she smashes because I’m magic I’m just a humble guide in her journey but getting into an argument with her coach with her as the medium does nothing but hurt the girl.

now when I coach my team and a girl has an instructor I do my best to get on the same page with them if I see something wrong or I don’t necessarily agree with I will have that conversation with the instructor in the background not through the player

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
14-18 year old players

The instructor's who can actually coach have successfully created capable players from Middle School to College. Long list of successful players. Using batting for my response but pitching is comparable with slight differences.

The terrible instructor's are taking money and working parents by telling them and their DD how great they are. Kids going to a bad instructor will ground out, strike out or pop up balls every weekend for the entire season. Serious flaws in technique. Pure luck if actually getting hits and successfully reaching base.
List of players associated is dismissal.

What tells you the most. Parents and kids that won't follow instructions from the good instructor's, or coaches and the good coaches/ good instructor's don't want the kid's who don't work, or don't listen so it all works itself out naturally.

Happens on occasion when a naturally gifted person will go to a terrible instructor and they are just getting "repetitions only". That terrible coach uses that one player to sucker the rest in. That player was successful prior to this instructor.

If you've never had an issue getting scheduled with current instructor maybe you need to investigate why. I want all players to be successful but they need to want it more than I want it for them.

Was inquiring as some team coaches attach player performance directly to the instructors.
True also some instructors do the same to other instructors.

Really we know the athletes individual work promotes results.

Sinces i didnt read you looked at what you call the terrible instructors are doing, hard to comment if it's terrible or not.

Would also comment,
Usually team coaches dont get to see the befor performance to the long term results.
And, at times, team coaches are looking for want 'they' want to see accomplished in the short season the player is on their team.
Not all but can tend to happen.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For my teaching schedule,
Try to be aware of the type of softball parent/player i will take on for lessons. Always have introduction conversation of player and goals.
Diversity welcome.
Effort is a requirement.
1. At the lesson.
2. As well doing there softball homework.
( it can become obvious when either effort is lacking)

*Brings the questions~
When should an instructor cut a client from the schedule?
Or should they?

Addressing Effort~
I am a communicator with feedback toward goals with structured lessons, take home drills and specific details to address.
There are different learning curves (timelines) but can deffinetly tell when lack of effort is apparent.
Deffinetly bring this topic up immediately!
( please keep in mind discussion by myself and parents/student including a meet and greet watching a lesson prior to being put on schedule is mandatory. Sets an expectation)

Here are examples of the conversations with parent/student when effort is lacking.

Student/player's name ______ hopefully wants to learn and grow!
I am here to teach.
Willingness to try required.
Please consider a conversation with your dd regarding 'her goals.'
Our lessons have goals.
Lets reach them!

If lack of effort continues...

We have discussed previously the importance of effort.
Just to be clear, i am not here to be a cattle prod or disciplinarian. Please have a conversation to address your daughter's goals and the reasons for attending lessons.
We'll look forward to how next few lessons go to apply effort.

I even say to parents if your daughter wants to play softball and she enjoys it socially and you have the money to afford doing it of course make whatever decisions you want. However,
my schedule is for athletes who have goals that include better performance with their softball skills.
It takes a positive attitude and physical effort to push through being challenged while sweatting.

Will even add,
I have limited spots availale
for athletes who are making an ongoing commitment to softball.

These conversations tend to produce results.
People step up!
Or...step off.

Flaky attendance will get people removed from the schedule fairly quickly.
Generally our first conversations about the schedule are clear enough.
;) but not always...

Effort = Trying
Results come from trying !
Tend to have long term students! :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
My DD was 8 playing 10U Rec. At the beginning of the 'Spring Training" the HC brought in a local mom that pitched in college (DII). She offered 1 hour group lessons for $10 per student. We did those and it was a great start. By the end of season, she started to lose control and I did a couple of private lessons. Coach made. couple of very minor tweaks and she got better immediately. At that point, it was clear I could not help her and that she could be successful with a little coach. I found this site, IR and then found a tincher.

Due to schedules (ours and her PC) there are times we go a few weeks without a lesson and she definitely starts to "stray". There is no doubt she is getting better and the PC is a large part of it.

She joined her first travel team (10U) in the Fall she turned 9. They have some very good coaching and she did a really good job at the plate. At that age, the org was a bit too intense for her. So she stopped travel after the fall season. Going back to Rec (now 1st year 10U), she absolutely RAKED. But little by little her hitting slipped.

By then end of this past summer (she joined new travel Org 2nd year 10U), she was a mess. She could not even hit lob pitching. she would take a long walk after every pitch, I could see how she lost ALL confidence, and nothing I said would help. It was painful for us to watch such a confident child lose all confidence and swagger.

We choose to go to the same hitting coach that her older cousin is seeing. He is quite successful. how much is it her cousin vs coaching? Who knows, but we went to 6 lessons and she has definitely improved quickly. We'll probably start up again in the new year.

Feb 3, 2016
For my teaching schedule,
Try to be aware of the type of softball parent/player i will take on for lessons. Always have introduction conversation of player and goals.
Diversity welcome.
Effort is a requirement.
1. At the lesson.
2. As well doing there softball homework.
( it can become obvious when either effort is lacking)

*Brings the questions~
When should an instructor cut a client from the schedule?
Or should they?

Addressing Effort~
I am a communicator with feedback toward goals with structured lessons, take home drills and specific details to address.
There are different learning curves (timelines) but can deffinetly tell when lack of effort is apparent.
Deffinetly bring this topic up immediately!
( please keep in mind discussion by myself and parents/student including a meet and greet watching a lesson prior to being put on schedule is mandatory. Sets an expectation)

Here are examples of the conversations with parent/student when effort is lacking.

Student/player's name ______ hopefully wants to learn and grow!
I am here to teach.
Willingness to try required.
Please consider a conversation with your dd regarding 'her goals.'
Our lessons have goals.
Lets reach them!

If lack of effort continues...

We have discussed previously the importance of effort.
Just to be clear, i am not here to be a cattle prod or disciplinarian. Please have a conversation to address your daughter's goals and the reasons for attending lessons.
We'll look forward to how next few lessons go to apply effort.

I even say to parents if your daughter wants to play softball and she enjoys it socially and you have the money to afford doing it of course make whatever decisions you want. However,
my schedule is for athletes who have goals that include better performance with their softball skills.
It takes a positive attitude and physical effort to push through being challenged while sweatting.

Will even add,
I have limited spots availale
for athletes who are making an ongoing commitment to softball.

These conversations tend to produce results.
People step up!
Or...step off.

Flaky attendance will get people removed from the schedule fairly quickly.
Generally our first conversations about the schedule are clear enough.
;) but not always...

Effort = Trying
Results come from trying !
Tend to have long term students! :)
Pretty sure if you're giving lessons you've identified the player's becoming their own best coaches, and those who go to instruction for long periods of time and still can't diagnose what's wrong with their own swing.
As a coach/instructor ultimately you need to fill your schedule and hopefully have kids who really are working.
These player's step into the box with with nobody. They need to own the results of the work being put in.
I take no credit for how great or terrible a player performs. If everyone is doing the job in this arrangement success is in the results.

I'd be more concerned with a player going 4 different instructors in 3 year's than going to 4 teams in 3 years.

Mar 10, 2020
For anyone who has never had a great instructor for your DD, whether it be for hitting, pitching, fielding, conditioning, whatever.....I feel sorry for you! Seeing positive gains is what this game is all about!
Results shouldnt take long with the right instructor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles