Glove rule when pitcher only has use of one arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2014
We are coaching a 12U summer team and we have a girl on our team with the use of only one of her arms. She catches and throws with her right hand tucking the ball and glove under her left arm, pulling the ball out with her right and then throwing. She is highly capable. We tried her at pitch today and she did quite well. The ump mentioned there may be an issue because she cannot start the pitch with the ball in her glove. She has to pitch tucking the glove under her left arm. She uses her right arm with a full wind up with no other modification. We heard mixed feedback between the ump and other coaches. Mind you, none of the other coaches in our league have taken issue with her removing her glove at pitch or first base which is where she typically plays. We just do not want it to be an issue and can foresee she may be developed into a really good pitcher. Does anyone know of any rule that states the wind up has to be started from the ball in the glove?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
ASA just states the pitcher shall bring their hands together, it doesn’t say anything about a glove being on her hand. Yes, the ball can start in her hand. I find it hard to believe it would ever be an Issue but I have been surprised before. Good luck to her!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I admire her. Can she tuck the glove, hold the ball in her right hand and then touch the ball to her left hand?

As she gets better some coach will undoubtably find something to gripe about. Good luck to her. I would love to see her pitch.

Jun 11, 2013
As long as she isn't doing anything to deceive the batter I would let her do it any way she wants to. As she develops I'm sure there will be an idiot coach or 2 that says something, but most will not say a word.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd