Glove repair/re-lacing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Apparently I need to pay more attention to glove posts. DD has been using a Wilson A1000 FP glove the last two years which was an upgrade from a cheap whatever glove purchased from Academy.

She’s enjoyed it but now that the velcro isn’t staying closed (wish I had read AD’s thoughts first) we upgraded to the A2000 Kelsey Stewart (2020) that I found on sale. It should arrive tomorrow. But for the price as long as it lasts like the A1000 has I’m okay with that.

Nov 8, 2020
The finger tip laces are probably pulled too tight.

Also, the white leather on many A2000's, as well as Liberty Advanced, Mizuno and Easton Fastpitch Gloves is usually not conditioned enough because the manufacturers are trying to to get the leather to look a brighter white and conditioner will darken the leather.

Add to that the crispyness of the lace that comes from Vietnam (where A2000's are made) and you have 3 different issues that can lead to that glove tearing that way, sort of a perfect storm.
I'm not sure why the stock lace in 300 dollar Wilson and Rawlings gloves is so bad. The Rawlings are made in the Phillipines but the Phillipines and Vietnam may use the same tannery or tanning techniques. With Wilson the gray and red lace are awful and sometimes the black lace as well.. Rawlings is less consistent color wise but sometimes you get good lace and other times junk and it can be the same color and glove model. The higher end models (A2K one Pro Preferred) tend to always have better quality stock laces

I have suspected, but have not had anyone from Wilson confirm it for me, that Wilson does use a skived thinner leather for their fastpitch glove line that they do not use for their baseball glove line. If they do, I'm sure it has to do with making the gloves more light weight, though they may also insist that the thinner material is necessary when making gloves with smaller hand and finger stalls. I dont know I would buy that though as the DP15 line is made with the smaller hand and finger stalls and still have a more durable feel of thicker leather.

When I get any new glove to break in I will generally rub the palm and around all the lace holes down with the Obenaufs leather protectant or Ballplayers Balm Pro Glove Conditioner to make sure the leather there isn't too dry. I also untie the knot on the end of the finger tip run and loosen those laces a bit til the glove is broken in. If the lace feels crispy I will sometimes pull that lace and condition it or just replace it with a better quality lace, usually thicker and wider.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

May 7, 2015
SoCal
No rot in glove, tears started about 3 months after purchase.

I sent you a message.

Bummer, those laces are WAY too tight and the leather finally gave way. Loose is the way to go until the glove is really really broken in/floppy. Then a general snugging up. The leather should never "pull" from the stress of too tight laces.

The laces in DD's new AM1 catchers mitt are so incredible hard and stiff, totally agree that it would help a bunch to get some conditioner or similar on them before use.

Nov 18, 2015
Also, the white leather on many A2000's, as well as Liberty Advanced, Mizuno and Easton Fastpitch Gloves is usually not conditioned enough because the manufacturers are trying to to get the leather to look a brighter white and conditioner will darken the leather.
My daughter has the MA14 12.25 from 2019 - it broke in fairly quickly. I also have a R/W/B Liberty catchers mitt. Thanks for the tip, I'll be checking the lacing holes, as both may have white leather for the finger tips.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I have not been impressed at all with the A2000 fp glove. The picture is only after 3 months of use. Wish she would have liked the Rawlings better but the A2000 fit her small hand much better.

Is the glove still under warranty? If so, Id look into making a claim on it. Worse they can do is deny the claim right?

May 23, 2015
20210521_082711.jpgSomeone tightened the laces so much that it rolled over the finger tips. They dont come from the factory with lacing like that. I'm surprised the glove lasted as long as it did. Finger stalls should have a glimpse of daylight between each.

If you have enough slack loosen them up. If you cut the slack off when it was tightened you'll have to relace the fingers which is a 10 minute job. It will help that glove immensely but won't cure the damage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes