Glove recommendations (catchers)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2020
Dd is in need a catchers glove with more thumb padding. She currently uses a mizuno franchise that she’s had since becoming a catcher in 12u. She loves that thing but the thumb area isn’t great at all! So back in Jan she broke her thumb in a catchers lesson and got cleared for play 2 or so weeks ago. Well had our 1st tournament last weekend where she got back in the rotation of things. After being cleared she warmed up pitchers in practice and thumb was fine etc well after the 1st game in the tournament where she played thru the whole game when it was over noticed the thumb was swollen bad and bruised again so feared she rebroke it. Sat the rest of the day cause of the swelling and pain went to patient first after and they xrayed it and said no breaks or fractures just swollen ice it yada yada. Thumb went down she played the next day and all was good other then the redness and light bruising. So they moved her to her backup position of 3rd for the last game. Is there any gloves that can aid in that area more padding etc ordered a team defender glove that’s like a batting glove with a guard built in but of course with it on her hand it doesn’t fit into her mizuno franchise (think it’s a youth model may be why). Have tried the moldable thumb guards ya can buy at dicks but dd hates it in the glove and complains about how uncomfortable it is. She likes the team defender glove guard thing I got her but again won’t fit in the glove so useless atm. Was looking at these 3 gloves atm

Mizuno

Only cause she loves her mizuno franchise

All star. But idk much about their gloves etc

Leaning towards that one the all star cmw3000. Seems decently priced and about the same quality as their higher end model

Have looked at the Rawlings la and easton models but my daughter doesn’t care to much for the pull strap adjustment style they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 22, 2020
The team defender guard glove thing we ordered

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ditch the Mizuno, and the idea of a new Mizuno! Go with an All-Star or a Vinci. Since she already has thumb issues, I’d opt for a All-Star!

Edit, both the All-Star and the Vinci will blow the Mizuno away in every facet (except price), really shouldn’t be mentioned in the same conversation!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020
Trying to break her heart. Jk she knows she may be switching and isn’t to thrilled about having to break in a new glove again after breaking in her custom Rawlings she got for xmas. Btw that glove is awesome and she fell in love with it as soon as she saw it. Her team mate has a Vinci and they are local to me. She tried it at a practice not to long ago and for some reason said she didn’t like it. May be she didn’t give it a chance since she likes her

Nov 22, 2020
Annasdad well ya know price has never been a dealbreaker for me if it’s worth it and quality made then again when does price matter for any of us in this sport with our dd’s.

Btw idk if I ever texted ya pics from last time we spoke. Her custom Rawlings we talked about back at Xmas time. She loves that thing and quality is great! I know we had talked about the quality differences between the baseball and softball models as far as hoh went but idk if it was cause it’s a custom or the sb model without adjustment on the wrist but this is top notch with the camel and timberglaze! Here’s some pics of it like I said i don’t remember if I ever texted em to ya or not I get so busy around here but thanks for all that help for sure!
6e3412d9eb27d285a92ea811381faf2c.jpg

ef1edbad30d8192de064fd494e684dee.jpg

99ea90708f1aa4fd6fc62e6fa876a91d.jpg

a73abc97901c7e4ba5791329d6d76200.jpg

75c55d05956793336282431e3b594834.jpg

e1ad23830c3ddc745e6c8598c808acab.jpg

Nov 22, 2020
Annasdad yea I know whatcha meant. The backup catcher on our team has a Vinci catchers mitt and idk why but she didn’t care for it to much. Again may be cause she wasn’t willing to give it a “try”. As far as her fielders glove that’s covered

Nov 22, 2020
All star af elite

Is their much of a difference between the elite and the other one not that 50 bucks really matters. Just more less in break in time etc have experience with the all star? How is the thumb area? That’s our main concern and issue atm
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles