Glove hand arm swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
Is this a must to stop? My DD does it and I don't know what to do to break it. She brings both arms back on her pre-motion so I had her try taking her glove hand up beside her throwing hand as far as she could to eliminate her instantly swinging her glove out and it did delay the movevement but she still does it. What should I do to get her to stop?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If the movement of the glove is causing torque on the body, then it is bad. She will have control problems. Most pitchers who move the glove to the left (assuming a right hand pitcher) generates considerable torque on the body, causing her upper body to open. However, it is possible for a pitcher to move the glove hand out to the left without causing a tremendous amount of torque.

The way to check is to use the Carolina walk through.

In the Carolina walk through, the pitcher does a walk through but does *NOT* lower her push off leg until the catcher returns the ball to her. If a pitcher's body is not moving toward the plate (i.e., if it is twisting to the glove side), then she will spin after release. You'll actually see the pitcher spin on her plant foot. She won't be able to keep her push off leg up. She will drop the push off foot in order to balance herself.

If the pitcher is able to do a Carolina walk through without spinning after release, then the glove hand movement isn't a big problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish