Glasses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
55dad has far more tact than me and the way he phrased it was much better.

Re Glasses, DD wore a cheap pair of prescription glasses under her face mask until 12U. It worked fine and she never had much trouble with them staying in place. She's worn contacts ever since.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
DD1 has never worn glasses thank God but DD2 inherited my in laws eyesight unfortunately. She was 8 years old when her teacher told us she was squinting quite a bit in class. Took her in for a checkup and came out with a prescription for glasses and contacts. Her stigmatism is horrible so contacts were recommended because of her activities. At the time, she was doing gymnastics and of course 10A travel ball. She hit just under .500 so the whole eyesight dillema came as a shock because she hit great for an 8 yr old. Just a side note, she was the most responsible 8 yr old with contacts. She's 11 now and has never had an issue with contacts so don't eliminate that idea just yet. And for the record, my dd has no clue what her stats are but I do use them to see if she's progressing.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
DD1 has never worn glasses thank God but DD2 inherited my in laws eyesight unfortunately. She was 8 years old when her teacher told us she was squinting quite a bit in class. Took her in for a checkup and came out with a prescription for glasses and contacts. Her stigmatism is horrible so contacts were recommended because of her activities. At the time, she was doing gymnastics and of course 10A travel ball. She hit just under .500 so the whole eyesight dillema came as a shock because she hit great for an 8 yr old. Just a side note, she was the most responsible 8 yr old with contacts. She's 11 now and has never had an issue with contacts so don't eliminate that idea just yet. And for the record, my dd has no clue what her stats are but I do use them to see if she's progressing.

Good to hear that your daughter was able to get use to contacts at that age. I think we may give contacts a try next year, my daughter turns 9 in January.

Jun 19, 2016
I didn't think they would give an 8 year old contacts. If I ever have to get glasses I am just going to get the LASIK. I would loose them constantly. This is why I use $1.99 shaded safety glasses from harbor freight. I loose a pair and it doesn't matter.

Feb 12, 2011
My daughter got glasses at 8 years old and she was a catcher. Went to contacts at age 9 or 10 and she loved them, she was wearing extended wear contacts (change every 2 weeks). At 14U we found out that all the dirt from catching and playing on the infield was causing dirt to get trapped between her eyes and contacts and wearing down the outside layer of her eye. Extended wear are also harder to keep clean. We had a great eye doctor who switched her to daily wear contacts and she has never had a problem again. Daily contacts do cost a little more but worth it, always have a clean, fresh contact everyday. My daughter is a senior in high school and will be going on to catch in college next year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619