Girls using illegal bats. Lawsuits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
You really can not tell if a bat has been shaved. A rolled bat just speeds up the break in process.Oh and by the way 5citysluggers a clarity can and has all ready been altered before , so the window isn't a end to stop all. I know this because I play slowpitch softball and it is nuts what people will do to hit a homerun. Thats why me dd wears a mask from combat , they make the hot bats so what better company to make the mask and begining this year my dd is wearing the protective shirt from evo-shield. My dd says you can't even tell the shirt is even on and she pitches with no problem. The parents should be liable if a girl gets hurt due to a altered bat.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We played against a team last year and my daughter was pitching the team slapped 2 or three balls that burnt our outfielders one that hit the centerfield fence. I can’t say the bat was altered, but dang.
FWIW- we have a 15yo that I call Sundance because she can hit anything as long as she's moving and she is a power slapper. She doesn't yet know how to slap the infield pop-up. could be those girls were in the same boat.

Or then again they could be using doctored bats.

Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, let's put everyone in jail, clean out their bank accounts, repo their houses and put the kids in foster homes.

You have already crucified the parents and you haven't even got a clue as what the issue may be. You think the coach doesn't know?

How American.

I’m not trying to criminalize anyone my point is there are lawyers just looking for an excuse to sue someone, the way it works is they sue everyone involved until they can prove who or whom is responsible and has money.

If you have your kid use an altered bat you could put yourself in Jeopardy.

If you hurt my kid with an altered bat, I'll be the one going to jail.

Jan 25, 2011
I guess it comes down to how bad does a person want to win. If a parent or a coach thinks that using a altered bat to hit hard and further is going to be the answer , than they need to look at themselfs. Mybe they aren't a very good coach , or your dd isn't that good. Teach them how to hit, put in the work to become better. My dd hits off a tee everyday, Is it fun ? NO it can get very boring. But she and I know thats where it comes from , hard work and the willingness to put time into the game.

Oct 19, 2009
nanotech14 exactly good post and sums it up very well.

Funny thing there is an ad for the very thing I saw this morning and the link is below. I remember Tennessee playing Team USA and Ralph Weekley expressing concern that the USA bats were hotter that college bats and he was concerned for his players.

Composite Bat Rolling in Knoxville | Active.com

Sep 3, 2009
We played against a team last year and my daughter was pitching the team slapped 2 or three balls that burnt our outfielders one that hit the centerfield fence. I can’t say the bat was altered, but dang.

Pretty standard power-slap, assuming there was some skill there. The skilled slappers are taught to slap for power when the def squeezes in.

If you see a team and 7 or 8 of the players all use the same bat, it’s a good indication something is up.

I would prefer spending my hard earned dollars on a great swing and good teaching and not an altered bat.

We played a team in the fall, was late in the brackets.. they had 3 girls all using the same bat. Every girl on that team was only hitting little dinkers here and there; except for those 3. They were routinely going green and pushing for the fence. I'd hate to think it would happen in 12u, but sure makes you wonder...

Feb 17, 2011
I know the clarity has been altered but can't be to the extreme of other bats. As for lawsuits I was wondering that because to keep that in the back of peoples minds who are going to cheat with hot bats. Nano i'll have to check into those protective shirts didn't know about them. I actually talked my dd into a mask last night so we'll be trying different one on this Friday. I still believe the hot bat should be responsible for any injury as these girls wont be used to the ball coming off that bat that fast. But then how will you be able to tell. Good luck to all the girls and play hard and be safe.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
nanotech14 exactly good post and sums it up very well.

Funny thing there is an ad for the very thing I saw this morning and the link is below. I remember Tennessee playing Team USA and Ralph Weekley expressing concern that the USA bats were hotter that college bats and he was concerned for his players.

Under what rules were they playing? If ISF, they have a higher BBS of 100 mph. What may have concerned him is that some of Team USA members would use what many people refer to as SP bats even though the designation is irrelevant to the legality.

Composite Bat Rolling in Knoxville | Active.com[/QUOTE]

Oct 19, 2009
Under what rules were they playing? If ISF, they have a higher BBS of 100 mph. What may have concerned him is that some of Team USA members would use what many people refer to as SP bats even though the designation is irrelevant to the legality.

Composite Bat Rolling in Knoxville | Active.com
[/QUOTE]

They played USA before the last Olympics, I think they play under international rules and I’m not sure of any of the limits for bats. I just remember the article in the Chattanooga Times where he expressed concerns over the hotter bats. We were at the game and the Team USA were hitting some shots in BP. I will search for the article and if found I will post it.

My point if a College coach is concerned over hotter bats then it should be a concern for the younger teams.

Jan 25, 2011
5citysluggers you can go to their website www.Evoshield.com they make them for girls , the inserts to the shirt form to the body when exposed to the air , just follow the directions. They hard up after about 1/2 an hour. I think it is a great product. Good Luck and stay safe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00