Girls using illegal bats. Lawsuits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
So if a girl gets injured on the infield and the bat turns out to be altered shouldn't they be responsible for any injuries caused. I'm just concerned been seeing alot of close calls hitting pitchers and were only in 10u, and just want the people to get a little scared for doing so. Some girls just are quick enough at this age to react to some of these hit balls agianst these composite bat let alone a hot altered bat. I'm for composites i use the clarity as i think all the bats should be clear to show any alterations. Dont know if this has been covered but just a thought. Thanks,

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Maybe not the girl using the bat, but definitely the parents! Should be arrested and charged with child endangerment, neglegance, assault, or whatever other charges apply.

Feb 12, 2011
IMO, and it just my opinion we are way too litigious. I do not condone cheating and I don't know how much you would see shaved / altered bats in 10u-14u. Also not sure you could even tell the difference if a kid was swinging an altered bat.

Also, it really makes no difference from a pitcher or infielders perspective what the batter is swinging - composite bats, aluminum bats, wood bats - any of these could be dangerous - especially when pitchers are only 35 feet away and sometimes corner infielders are less than 20 feet away.

All sports athletes have become better trained and they are bigger, faster and stronger. There will always be a level of danger. It's part of the game. Let's stop trying to diminish competitive sports and make sure they have the right gear to protect them from most of what could happen (face masks / heart guards) and move on.

I think the most dangerous HS sport is cheerleading (if you consider it a sport). Do we impose rules that they cannot do any stunts because Suzie fell and broke her leg? Of course not, it is an inherant part of the sport.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know that there are many loaded bats at the younger ages. They sell on eBay, so if someone is buying them, someone is using them. The girls don't know that daddy has bought them a shaved or rolled bat.

The guys that roll bats for $20.00, don't really care what size bat you bring them.

If your kid gets hit by a line drive, make sure that the ump grabs the bat. Your insurance company ins't going to be too happy to pay 1000s of $$ in injuries. You don't have to do the suing, the insurance company will. Mine wanted to go after a neighbor boy, because my son received a broken jaw in a sand lot game.

I didn't know about the instances of illegal bats, until I started playing slow pitch. I knew many senior citizen ladies swinging shaved CF4s.

Oct 19, 2009
Maybe not the girl using the bat, but definitely the parents! Should be arrested and charged with child endangerment, neglegance, assault, or whatever other charges apply.

I agree completely with this point of view, if a kid is injured with an illegal bat then there may be litigation against the parents and it may not stop there, the person altering the bat, the officiating crew who did not catch it, the tournament sponsor, the field owner and the list can go on and on.

The attorney is going to say SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Feb 17, 2011
I dont care what age group it is, i'm sure the dad who bought the bat knows his options. Anything to make his kid that much better. Sounds like were all on the same page. My DD doesnt want to wear the mask. As for Allstars i think I will make her this year, as of all the infield. But we'll see how that goes. She's has a good reaction but there's always that one that might make it through. As for cheerleading my wife was one and they were grounded on stunts to help protect the girls. They were mad due to the fact they werent able to go to certain competitions. I just don't want to see it happen anytime with any bat, its my worse nightmare. I read a part on where the pitcher will pitch to the batter and the coach will hit a wiffle ball right back her with a tennis racket. I'm thinking about trying it to see how it works especially for other girls i know who are starting to pitch and I know who dont have good reaction time.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You can't tell. Slow pitch and some universities have a machine to test them in, but you and I and an umpire can't tell - until the bat is cut open.

The shaving service is for sale under "hot bats" on eBay. It shows the pictures of how it is done.

I always suspect the weak half swings that park the ball up against the fence, but that isn't very scientific.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I agree completely with this point of view, if a kid is injured with an illegal bat then there may be litigation against the parents and it may not stop there, the person altering the bat, the officiating crew who did not catch it, the tournament sponsor, the field owner and the list can go on and on.

The attorney is going to say SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Yeah, let's put everyone in jail, clean out their bank accounts, repo their houses and put the kids in foster homes.

You have already crucified the parents and you haven't even got a clue as what the issue may be. You think the coach doesn't know?

How American.

Oct 19, 2009
We played against a team last year and my daughter was pitching the team slapped 2 or three balls that burnt our outfielders one that hit the centerfield fence. I can’t say the bat was altered, but dang.

If you see a team and 7 or 8 of the players all use the same bat, it’s a good indication something is up.

I would prefer spending my hard earned dollars on a great swing and good teaching and not an altered bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00