GHSA votes to keep full fall schedule, delays football to September

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD's HS team has its first scrimmage today and first real game tomorrow. Unfortunately, she won't be there because she tested positive for COVID on Monday. So, we are quarantined at home. She's feeling fine physically, but is emotionally so bummed to be missing at least 4 or 5 games, especially since the entire season is certainly not guaranteed. It's been one roadblock after another this year and this is not helping her recruiting journey (class of 2022).
Hope she recoops quickly!
May i ask was there a strong thought she may have contacted it from a situation your aware of? Or were you very surprised?

I recognize people do handle things differently. Have noticed from families I know some are very Much following quarantine typet guidelines. While some other families seem to be following those 'old guidelines' of if you feel okay you can go do that. ..

Regardless of symptoms and being AWARE of them!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
CO moved Football and Volleyball to the Spring. Other sports (Softball included as it's also a Fall sport out here) are playing with modified rules, roster sizes and shortened seasons. We'll see how it goes, both DD's are helping out as Assistant coaches this year since their college has gone online this year and they are staying home rather than heading off to live on campus.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hope she recoops quickly!
May i ask was there a strong thought she may have contacted it from a situation your aware of? Or were you very surprised?

I recognize people do handle things differently. Have noticed from families I know some are very Much following quarantine typet guidelines. While some other families seem to be following those 'old guidelines' of if you feel okay you can go do that. ..

Regardless of symptoms and being AWARE of them!

On Saturday evening, she complained of a headache and had about a 99.4 degree fever. Sunday morning, it was 100.2. My in-laws had come into town for the first time since Feb. and we thought we owed it to them to get her tested so that they would know one way or the other. So that sucks because they were exposed too. No idea where or when she picked it up. I've tried to be mindful of where she goes and what she does, but considering we've had TB since June here in GA, it easily could have been Nationals in TN two weeks ago where she got it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
On Saturday evening, she complained of a headache and had about a 99.4 degree fever. Sunday morning, it was 100.2. My in-laws had come into town for the first time since Feb. and we thought we owed it to them to get her tested so that they would know one way or the other. So that sucks because they were exposed too. No idea where or when she picked it up. I've tried to be mindful of where she goes and what she does, but considering we've had TB since June here in GA, it easily could have been Nationals in TN two weeks ago where she got it.
Appreciate you sharing that.

A good friend of mine and his family tested positive. they believe they trace it back to the gym the mom and teenage daughter go to. However he said the symptoms were very mild for them. he really thinks part of the main reason this is spreading like wildfire is because people think nothing of the symptoms...atleast what they had were less than a cold. He and wife were more tired than the two children.
They quarantined over 3 weeks.

recently I know a parent whose two daughters each woke up with fevers still had it the next day. he said he contacted his doctor on the first day. the doctor said okay bring them into the office tomorrow. which I was surprised it wasn't just go to a test site. So he brought the kids into the doctor. the doctor did not do a test!!! the dad said the doctor did not feel they had enough symptoms. And then the dad told me he was keeping his kids home just for a week just in case. I'm not sure what the thinking is in that whole story but I can imagine that kind of situation is perpetuating the bigger situation.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
That's probably a local school district rule and not GHSA, fwiw. You might find different rules if you play at a school outside your district.

Good luck on season. Glad it's being played.
Good point. I didn't even check, just took coach's word for it from our parent (zoom) meeting. I am afraid Elite 8 in Columbus is either not going to happen or look VERY different this year.

May 29, 2015
recently I know a parent whose two daughters each woke up with fevers still had it the next day. he said he contacted his doctor on the first day. the doctor said okay bring them into the office tomorrow. which I was surprised it wasn't just go to a test site. So he brought the kids into the doctor. the doctor did not do a test!!! the dad said the doctor did not feel they had enough symptoms. And then the dad told me he was keeping his kids home just for a week just in case. I'm not sure what the thinking is in that whole story but I can imagine that kind of situation is perpetuating the bigger situation.

The pediatrician not testing is not a surprise. There is a pediatrician from a major metropolitan area who is on another forum that I frequent. He has been sharing his experiences through all of this. Many pediatricians have EXTREMELY LIMITED access to testing through their office. If I recall correctly, he was only allocated 8 tests per month. He has been in contact with a major pharmaceutical vendor who will sell him more, but only if he agrees to buy a bunch of other stuff from them that he doesn’t need.

This is a key contributor to the theory that numbers are actually being under-accounted for.

I like your point about mild symptoms too. I hadn’t really thought of those folks who have it but don’t realize that’s what they have, so they continue to spread it.

Apr 1, 2017
I like your point about mild symptoms too. I hadn’t really thought of those folks who have it but don’t realize that’s what they have, so they continue to spread it.

I've "joked" about that all summer. My seasonal allergies have been really bad this year. I've had runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing since May. I might have had Covid, with mild symptoms, at some point during that time, but wouldn't know it. Or, I've had mild Covid for 3.5 months.....

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Good point. I didn't even check, just took coach's word for it from our parent (zoom) meeting. I am afraid Elite 8 in Columbus is either not going to happen or look VERY different this year.

You might be OK, as softball is not under the microscope like football and competitive cheer, since softball outdoors and easier to socially distance. I don't think the GHSA will mess with softball, but if you start having schools and school systems shutting down their sports programs over the pandemic, that's a different matter.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The pediatrician not testing is not a surprise. There is a pediatrician from a major metropolitan area who is on another forum that I frequent. He has been sharing his experiences through all of this. Many pediatricians have EXTREMELY LIMITED access to testing through their office. If I recall correctly, he was only allocated 8 tests per month. He has been in contact with a major pharmaceutical vendor who will sell him more, but only if he agrees to buy a bunch of other stuff from them that he doesn’t need.

This is a key contributor to the theory that numbers are actually being under-accounted for.

Can say i know of a few youngsters 12 & under have been tested.

Do agree very possible unsupplied dr. office could cause no test.
Also inconsistancy in diagnosis/treatment theories.

Should or Shouldnt there be an error on the side of caution...
That whole 14 day quarentine?
Seems the more of these
"Nah the dr. Didnt test no quarentine suggested...."
What does that really say?

Not gonna pick a side to tell anyone best choice for them..
Just saying cant only blame the general public for hap-hazard'ness.

Apr 20, 2015
Pediatrician here. Testing supplies are still a huge issue as are turn around times and test quality. I have plenty of supplies available because I am directly connected to a hospital, but my turn around is 3 to 5 days and my current test is only about 70% sensitive with an ideal swab collection. If any of you have been swabbed properly you know that most younger children will not tolerate it so at best I'm figuring 60% sensitive which means 4 out of every 10 negatives I get may be false. I swab because our health department will only contact trave positive cases not presumed positives but I recommend a 10 day quarantine before returning to school for all suspicious cases which is our state guideline. Its a mess but we are going to muddle through the best we can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying