Riverside becomes first school in Georgia to cancel fall sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Small private military Boarding School in Gainesville... maybe they are an outlier... They sent everyone home in March for remote learning, but this seems to indicate they will not resume on campus classes in Fall. IDK... Georgia is a Fall Softball state...

May 16, 2016
Everything I keep seeing about Georgia says it is open and cases are lower than when they were closed?

Over last three weeks, cases are kind of flat, not going up... but also not really going down. And Georgia is not fully "open". Sill a limit on gatherings over 10, so no practice, no games, at least until June. Thankfully, Atlanta is doing better, but there are hotspots elsewhere in the state.

Gainesville (north east of Atlanta) was hit pretty hard initially (1 in 91 infected compared to 1 in 275 for metro Atlanta), but seems to have leveled out now. Honestly, I was surprised to see this headline.

1589733738339.png

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Uh, our team has practiced in person already in GA and we're not the only ones (have seen teams on the same field before and after ours).

May 16, 2016
Uh, our team has practiced in person already in GA and we're not the only ones (have seen teams on the same field before and after ours).

Yeah, we have "practiced" also... in small groups, to stay under the 10 person limit. I've also talked to people whose team was reported and kicked off the field. Someone posted an article here about an Atlanta Baseball Travel team, who sent out instructions so practice appeared unstructured and informal.

Riverside really has a different dynamic than most other high schools since they are a male only military boarding school. If they are brining kids back in the fall to live on campus, limiting their exposure to "outsiders" might help them alleviate some of the concerns of parents sending their kids back in the fall. Of course, I am not familiar with Riverside but is it the typical "football factory" disguised as a boarding school?

May 16, 2016
Riverside really has a different dynamic than most other high schools since they are a male only military boarding school. If they are brining kids back in the fall to live on campus, limiting their exposure to "outsiders" might help them alleviate some of the concerns of parents sending their kids back in the fall. Of course, I am not familiar with Riverside but is it the typical "football factory" disguised as a boarding school?

I was aware of this school, but not that familiar with them. Quick scan of their prominent alumni, and I can confirm, they are not a football factory. LOL

It appears they are a legit military academy, sending quite a few on to Military Universities, or the Service Academies.

Good to know. Their decision makes even more sense and reading further in the article, they went on to say that they would have intramural sports in the fall to make up for the lack of fall sports. This looks like a business decision on their part that allows them to bring the kids back to campus for their primary function which is education and preparation for military academies and schools.

Oct 4, 2018
Everything I keep seeing about Georgia says it is open and cases are lower than when they were closed?

There's been a lot of false reporting by top officials. You'll find this hard to believe, but they released a chart with the dates out of order to show a decline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802