GHSA votes to keep full fall schedule, delays football to September

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
So ... is it better to work off of current information and pull the plug now OR keep changing the decision by delaying in 2-week or 4-week intervals based on developing information?

Not making any snide or political commentary ... my Organizational Behavior/communications side is honestly interested in the ways people prefer to receive information and the effects of the manner/method.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So ... is it better to work off of current information and pull the plug now OR keep changing the decision by delaying in 2-week or 4-week intervals based on developing information?

Not making any snide or political commentary ... my Organizational Behavior/communications side is honestly interested in the ways people prefer to receive information and the effects of the manner/method.

Good point because school systems in GA said one thing two weeks ago and something different this week. The largest school system in GA (Gwinnett County) gave students a choice between in-person and virtual a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, they pivoted and now it's going to be all virtual at least for the first few weeks. We have to assume that things can change at a moment's notice.

Aug 6, 2013
I know in VA the VHSL is going to decide on the future of high school sports soon and will be voting between 3 options.

1) keep everything in its respective season and only allow low risk fall sports to be played - golf and cross country. No high risk including football, field hockey, volleyball or cheer.

2) switch the fall and spring seasons - low/moderate risk sports could be played in fall including baseball, softball, soccer, tennis & track. No lax.

3)leave all sports in the season where they are currently assigned but push start dates back and compress seasons. Winter sports would play dec 14 - Feb 20. Fall sports would play Feb 15-May 1. Spring sports would play April 12 - June 26.

A survey was sent to parents to vote. DD is advocating for option 1. She said she lost her season last year so fall should lose theirs this year. Re option 3 she is concerned about the late ending of the HS season and how it would disrupt travel ball. Option 2 is not an option at all because we can see fall getting canceled even for “low/moderate risk” sports....

May 16, 2016
I think they will have trouble figuring out how to play football. But, by September, we will be halfway through the softball season.

Jun 30, 2020
Good point because school systems in GA said one thing two weeks ago and something different this week. The largest school system in GA (Gwinnett County) gave students a choice between in-person and virtual a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, they pivoted and now it's going to be all virtual at least for the first few weeks. We have to assume that things can change at a moment's notice.

It is possible the school board realized their plans were unworkable. Requiring kids to wear masks from the time they get on the bus to the time they get off the bus is frankly laughable. Throw in making hallways one-way, eating in the classroom, and a bunch of other restrictions and I don't know how the kids or the teachers would make it through the day.

I feel for those with younger kids trying to do online learning though. It is going to be tough to monitor through the day. Thankfully, my son has graduated and my DD is mature enough to take care of her work with minimal supervision.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez