Getting infield to talk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2010
I have a 8U team and am looking for suggestions on how to get my infield to talk. They keep forgetting to call for the ball, they sometimes yell then they see a bunt, and it has become a chore to continually ask them the number of outs and where they are going with the ball.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
If this wasn't 8U... then I'd suggest what we do. If you don't call it, you run a lap or do sit ups. Especially after those practices where we've focused on calling the ball and talked about it numerous times.

I'd suggest splitting them up into groups and have two go at a time. Hit (or throw) balls in between them, forcing one of them to call for the ball. You're still going to have to remind them a lot on the field.

I'm not a coach, but can tell you what DD's team does (older, but has done this since they were young). Catcher is THE mouth on the field. After an out is made, she stands, yells "2 down" or whatever and also holds up fingers to let the outfield know in case she doesn't yell loudly enough. All IF positions meet up in the circle prior to the beginning of an inning. They have a sort of "pow-wow". That sets the tone, from what I have witnessed, for the game. The OF sort of does the same thing - meets in CF and chats it up prior to the beginning of the inning. During practices, the coaches make the girls do crunches, push ups or run foul posts if they DO NOT communicate. If they don't during a game, the ones who didn't will be doing one of those three things. After a while, it sinks in that they are a team and must vocalize what they are doing to (first and foremost) avoid collision injuries. Not saying that you should punish the little ones because, for some, that may be a major turn off. Maybe if you make it like a "game" or something for them - have some type of reward for the one who shouts the loudest or something? Good luck and have a great time!!!! The little ones are so adorable!! :)

May 5, 2008
This is also something you can practice in practice! Many coaches don't have players even do this in practice, but want them to do it in the game.

In practice you can tell the catcher the play and have them relay it to the infield, then before you hit the ball have the infield ALL repeat/pass along the play to each other/outfield. Tell the players that after the catcher says they play, they all have to pass it along - help them make it a habit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma