getting hit with a pitched ball......PONY interpretation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Looks like the first one only states the batter be inside the box before the pitch, second one says HBP in the box is dead ball, advance to first. Don't think either addresses batter in front of the box:

f
The batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box prior to the start of the pitch. She may touch the
lines, but no part of her foot may be outside of the lines prior to the pitch.
NOTE: The umpire should hold up the pitch until the
batter is within the lines.

9-2-f
(FP ONLY) When a pitched ball, not struck at or not called a strike, touches any part of the batter’s person or clothing while she is in the batter’s box. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting her. The batter’s hands are not part of the bat.

EFFECT:
Sec. 2f: The ball is dead and the batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out unless she made no effort to avoid being hit. In this case, the plate umpire calls either a ball or a strike

Mar 2, 2013
The good thing is, it appears that PONY will be moving in the direction of the NCAA hit by pitch rule next year.

Apr 12, 2013
Looks like the first one only states the batter be inside the box before the pitch, second one says HBP in the box is dead ball, advance to first. Don't think either addresses batter in front of the box:

you quoted PONY rule 8-1. that has nothing to do with this

please read PONY 9-2-f again........(FP only)..when a pitched ball, not swung at or called a strike touches any part of the batters person or clothing WHLE SHE IS IN THE BATTERS BOX.....etc.

also i used a slap hitter as an example. the point im trying to make is that, it appears, if a batter gets hit by a pitch while she is out of the box, she is not awarded 1st base in PONY but she would be in ASA. that batter could be in front of, behind or sideways out of the batters box.

i'll simplify my question:

so, is this statement true: if a batter gets hit with a pitched ball while she has one foot out of the box, the batter is awarded 1st base in ASA but not PONY?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
So, under that interpretation what would the PONY ruling be here:

Pitch comes in so far inside that it forces the batter out of the batter's box as part of her effort to avoid the pitch. Then the pitch hits her.

Apr 12, 2013
So, under that interpretation what would the PONY ruling be here:

Pitch comes in so far inside that it forces the batter out of the batter's box as part of her effort to avoid the pitch. Then the pitch hits her.

thank you bretman..thats what i would like to know. if the batter gets hit with the pitch while she is out of the box, what is PONY's ruling? as per rule 9-2-f she would not be awarded 1st base because she was not in the box when she got hit, it just doesnt seem to make sense

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
you quoted PONY rule 8-1. that has nothing to do with this.

Actually, you listed it in your OP.
I agree it's irrelevant, but since you brought it up I found it impolite to say so.
I pasted it for the convenience of those participating in this discussion.
You're welcome.

please read PONY 9-2-f again........(FP only)..when a pitched ball, not swung at or called a strike touches any part of the batters person or clothing WHLE SHE IS IN THE BATTERS BOX.....etc.

Again, pasted for convenience.
I can read fairly well, appreciate your concern though.
In turn, had you read what I said, you would realize you are restating it.
I will consider flaming for emphasis the next time my limited English skills fail to get a point across.
Hope you get your question answered.

Apr 12, 2013
Actually, you listed it in your OP.
I agree it's irrelevant, but since you brought it up I found it impolite to say so.
I pasted it for the convenience of those participating in this discussion.
You're welcome.

Again, pasted for convenience.
I can read fairly well, appreciate your concern though.
In turn, had you read what I said, you would realize you are restating it.
I will consider flaming for emphasis the next time my limited English skills fail to get a point across.
Hope you get your question answered.

lol..look again....the 8-1-f reference was an ASA rule quote for a batter getting hit with a pitched ball not PONY. the correlating rule quote for PONY is 9-2 f...if you read them both you will see the difference between the two. PONY mandates that the batter will only be awarded 1st base if she is hit with the pitch while she is in the box. ASA makes no such distinction..i understand your confusion though. i probably could have phrased it differently

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2013
when it comes to getting hit with a pitched ball, ASA makes no distinction about being in or out of the batters box when considering awarding her 1st base (8-1-f). ergo, a slap hitter in front of the box thats gets hit with a pitch, as long as the pitch isnt in the strike zone and she tries to avoid getting hit, is awarded 1st base. in contrast, PONY specifically says that if she gets hit with a pitched ball she needs to be in the batters box when she is hit in order to be awarded 1st base.....so, in PONY, that same slap hitter wont be awarded 1st base when she is hit while out of the box reguardless of her actions or the location of the pitch (9-2 f)........ am i interpreting this correctly?

anyone.....?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wish I could be of more help, but I've never umpired a game under PONY sanction in my life. Any answer I'd give would be a complete guess at what they intend by that rule and how their umpires are instructed to interpret it.

Apr 12, 2013
Wish I could be of more help, but I've never umpired a game under PONY sanction in my life. Any answer I'd give would be a complete guess at what they intend by that rule and how their umpires are instructed to interpret it.

thanks bretman.. i do some PONY but never realized the ruling for getting hit with a pitched ball was worded that way..... i always give your opinions and thoughts on rule interpretations my highest respect. im hoping that a well informed PONY umpire can shed some light on this. or maybe its supposed to be called as written and ive been in the dark for the past several years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1