Get the lead runner… what do you teach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2011
My dd’s 14U travel coach has the girls try to get the lead runner no matter what and it costs us a lot of outs. I question him and he says that he wants to teach them the right way of doing things. How do you coach the following situation?

Assume it’s the first inning and no score. One out and a runner on third. Coach broadcasts out loud for everyone to here that “we are not going to let this run score! Get the lead runner!” Ball hit to 2nd baseman easy out at first but following coaches instruction attempts to make play at home. Girl on third started on pitch (hit-and-run like jump off the base) and kept going when ball on ground toward right side. 2nd baseman makes throw to home and runner slides under tag and is safe in a very close play.

It seems to me that the odds of making the play at home are very low. "When in doubt get the out" is what my dd's very successful middle school coach teaches. What are your thoughts?

Feb 3, 2011
Some coaches want to win every single game played or tournament entered, while other coaches will use some friendlies/tournaments as a sort of regular season as they build towards their championship goals.

As I coach, I can envision a scenario when we'll need to keep a run from scoring in a big game, even if it means allowing another runner to reach safely. Because I know this is a situation we might be in during our championship tournament, it would help my players tremendously if we'd practiced it in real games previously.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If it's the 1st inning and no score, I would probably give up the run for the out. However if it's the 5th or 6th inning with no score, I may try to get the runner at home. Every situation is different, you can't make a blanket statement about getting the lead runner "no matter what" for every circumstance. What if it's the last inning and your team is up by 2 runs? The lead runner would mean nothing so you take the out.

If keeping the runner on 3rd from scoring is critical to winning the game, then you have to position the defence to give them the best opportunity to get the out at home (moving the infield in). Knowing when and how to position fielders to make the proper play is called "game stratagy" and is often the difference between winning and losing a game. Good coaches are the ones that make the right strategic moves at the right time most often, depending on game situations.

Jul 28, 2008
I can see a situation if you go out and talk to your girls and tell them you want to work on stopping the runner from scoring during the regular season tournaments. After all, those games are practice games. It's the end of the year tournaments that really count. As was said earlier, in a normal situation you get the out at 1st and the run scores. If it's late in the game and a tie, you don't let the run score. There is no one size fits all for this situation.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
14U should be holding that runner at 3rd and getting the out at 1st. TB ball is a lot different than middle school ball. I wouldn't just let a run score, either.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
OP said ball hit to 2nd, unless she is playing in, there is no chance of getting the runner at home. Runners are always taught that they immediatly go home on a ball hit to right side because unless 2nd is playing in, the runner will make it home. Now if the ball is hit to the left side, yes, look the runner back, then get the out. In close games some times third can fake the throw to 1st and get the runner trying to get a quick jump towards home.

Mar 13, 2010
Absolutely. Always look that runner back. Where did it ever come in that you just let the runner go home?

I do it for my young ones (under 10) but at the same time these are kids who struggle to get three outs. We always go for the easy out.

This level of play as stated in the OP, runner every time. I'd try holding them, but if the runner was going for home, I'd be throwing home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy