Georgia-Bama Game - Framing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
Sorry to offend your sensibilities Joe. I never claimed to be an author or commentator, just merely a concerned parent and coach who has spent far too much time having to correct fundamentally flawed mechanics promoted by experts and talking heads who should know better to ignorant viewers and coaches who don't and therefor accept it as gospel. I take it you don't have any such issue so keep enjoying your Jim Jones cool aid.

Naw Green you don't offend me. Your a funny person. You are right on one thing there are some ignorant coaches and parent coaches that listen to the wrong people. So Green your a coach. Where does the girls you have instructed play? What college do they play for? Your daughter where does she play? Just trying to see what your catchers do. I'm just interested to see what you teach. Not trying to be mean just interested. Jim Jones cool aid. lol lol See I knew you were funny.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Ajay so your saying she shouldn't be playing in D1 SEC??? That she doesn't know the difference? LOL ok that's a joke.... She took what the ump was giving her. She worked the plate and positions.. I guess there are good reasons why some people ump and some coach.

WOW...I never said where the catcher should or shouldn't be playing. I only said I would expect a catcher at that level, with the assumption that she has been playing the position for a long time, to know the difference between framing and pulling.

Cannonball gave a very good explanation of framing.

Pulling the pitch is something I expect to see from rec league and/or inexperienced catchers. If a catcher is pulling pitches, I will tell her that by doing that, she is telling me and anybody else watching that she thought it was a ball. My favorite thing to tell catchers is "help me call strikes."

I also like Jessica Mendoza, I met and talked to her for a few minutes back in '08 when the Olympic team was tourning the country. She is an outstanding player and a gracious lady. however, her knowledge of the rules of the game are lacking. Unfortuneately, this seems to be a trait all too common amongst former players turned commentators. One reason I really like that FOX SPORTS has the former head of the officials on standby during NFL games to explain rulings

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Naw Green you don't offend me. Your a funny person. You are right on one thing there are some ignorant coaches and parent coaches that listen to the wrong people. So Green your a coach. Where does the girls you have instructed play? What college do they play for? Your daughter where does she play? Just trying to see what your catchers do. I'm just interested to see what you teach. Not trying to be mean just interested. Jim Jones cool aid. lol lol See I knew you were funny.

Joe - I simply re-inforce the methods that the New England Catching Camp teaches. Check out their website The New England Catching Camp and if you have any interest in trying to help your DD or players learn to be a catcher, get a copy of their almost 3 hr-long "A Coaches Guide to Training Catchers DVD" - IMO, its the Catcher's Video Bible. As an ex D1 BB catcher, I used to think I knew what I was doing, but I was wrong. I know better now.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One other point that I'd like to make about "framing" that I think gets misunderstood. A catcher who does this properly will not hold that "frame" very long. In fact, it will be a split second. Otherwise, it appears that the catcher is indecisive as to the pitch location. As I always tell my catchers, "show it and throw it. Don't linger!"

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One other point that I'd like to make about "framing" that I think gets misunderstood. A catcher who does this properly will not hold that "frame" very long. In fact, it will be a split second. Otherwise, it appears that the catcher is indecisive as to the pitch location. As I always tell my catchers, "show it and throw it. Don't linger!"

CB - I agree that a borderline pitch shouldn't be held an longer than indisputable strikes and that the catcher needs to be consistent. However, to give the umpire the best look, I want every unquestionable strike as well as every borderline pitch framed and held for at least 1/2 second. If you handle close pitches differently, the catcher can be perceived as disputing the umpire's strike zone or begging for a strike on pitches that the catcher judged to be marginally outside of the strike zone (or they wouldn't have treated it any differently than an indisputable strike). For good umpires, how, where, or even if the catcher does/doesn't catch the pitch it shouldn't have any bearing on the umpire's call. However, it never hurts to make sure that the umpire consistently gets a good, clean look!

Apr 26, 2012
I always framed close ones unless the ump talked to me about it beforehand. I try to get our girls to curl their wrist when the close their mitt. If its all one motion it looks natural. That way you don't look like you're showing up the umpire. When I played travel baseball an umpire rang a kid up on an outside fastball. When the kid walked off the ump said "nice frame catch." It works sometimes but, the problem is when people do the pulling motion on obvious balls. Jerking a pitch over a foot just pisses an umpire off and hurts your pitcher on close ones.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Was getting very upset watching the Georgia catcher (Sandberg, I think) pulling close pitches and having Mendoza and the other talking heads compliment her on excellent framing. DD checked it out and said "Bet that umpire isn't real happy that the catcher is trying to call the game for him". Anyone else see this? Thoughts?

Pitchers are taught to pitch to the umpires 'strike zone', so what is wrong with a catcher doing the same thing?.....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pitchers are taught to pitch to the umpires 'strike zone', so what is wrong with a catcher doing the same thing?.....

Nothing at all. As init4 notes, proper framing involves turning the glove while catching the ball, not after catching the ball and certainly not moving the glove after catching the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06