George jones pitching dvd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2012
Hello, recently i bought george jones dvds, He teaches the step pitch style. Just wondering If any of todays pitchers use george jones pitching method? Thank you all, i do not want to start teaching my dd a pitching style that is not used anymore.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
George Jones was one of the original pitching teaching gurus. I had an assistant of his, help me when I was in IL. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about what was taught. I do like his thoughts on rhythm.

I think you can take some of his ideas and use them, for your DD.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
George's softball discography:

(1) "White Lightning" style of pitching.
(2) "I taught pitching when teaching pitching wasn't cool."
(3) "She stopped throwing fastballs today"
(4) And, of course, that great softball parent ballad, "Yesterday's Whine".

Jun 18, 2010
Order now, and we'll throw in a special CD containing these favorites:

"Walk Through This Pitch with Me" (1967)
"Slam: The Door" (1975)
"Golden Rise" (with Tammy Wynette) (1976)
"I Always Get Lucky with Screw" (1983)

Feb 16, 2012
On DD's team last year we had two girls that pitched properly...my DD was one of them. The other girl was taught the Jone's style of pitching and was left behind. She had no power or movement. When she pitched against teams with little skill they hit the tar out of her. I would not recommend this "style" of pitching. The third girl changed pitching instructors and is not slamming the door anymore and has been more successful. Her dad asked me what the problem was with her pitching at years end and I told him her mechanics were wrong and to find a new instructor and what to look for. She is a much happier ball player now.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
You don't hear about GJ much on here.

This was the first video series I bought when my DD was young. There are some useful drills he does with the young ones imo… but the overall pitching motion is not what you want. It is step-slam the door.

While dd was successful when young...when she got serious and we moved to leap-drag...i was still there saying slam the door and hello elbow. She was in her teens when I quit saying those things and BoardMember set me on the right path.

Fast forward and my dd had moved on….we were at a tournament and I was speaking to a pitching dad before the game and his dd was under GJ's instruction and she was going to start against my dd. His dd…. not only slammed the hips closed 90 degrees but did the whole 180 degree thing that GJ shows in one of his videos. She lasted 3 innings and was even close to the pitcher my dd was.

Read BoardMembers post and order Hillhouse video's and you will be on the right path early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12