Games with Time Limits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
ASA rules say the time starts as of the first pitch. But, locally for tournaments we are instructed the clock starts at the conclusion of the pregame meeting.

Why does FP have rules at all? Seems like either the umps are instructed differently or to enforce them when they choose. I love this game, but at times I just don't understand it.

Jun 22, 2008
Why does FP have rules at all? Seems like either the umps are instructed differently or to enforce them when they choose. I love this game, but at times I just don't understand it.

The ASA rule book is for championship play, local tournaments can make any changes or modifications to the rules they like.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The ASA rule book is for championship play, local tournaments can make any changes or modifications to the rules they like.

But when a local tourney states "play under ASA rules" then that should mean ALL rules. No tourney ever lists "except for game starting times" "except for illegal pitches" "except for ABC".

If a TD or org takes the time to modify rules then make them available BEFORE signing up. They sure find the time to say a team supplies 2 game balls, insurance, 5 mins of infield before game, pay at the plate, etc.

Never ran into these things in BB. It's all out there pre-sign up or they go by the book.

Jun 22, 2008
Ask when you sign up when the clock starts, then if the umpire walks on the field and says the clock has started you know better. And for that matter, if time limits are used ASA specifies they are 1 hour 40 minutes no new inning, not 70 or 75 minutes.

Mar 2, 2013
Excuse me. I miswrote. In PONY, the clock starts when the pre-game conference ENDS (not begins). Sorry.

In PONY, the only rule that can be changed in a Qualifier are time limits (which have a minimum) unless the tournament gets approval from the State Director. That was a change made about 8 or 9 years ago to put an end to this "tournament rule" nonsense because then people would go to the Nationals and no one knew the correct rules.

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
In 6 years of DD playing TB time has never started at first pitch. Nearly every timed game, Umpire will start the timer at the conclusion of pre game meeting and tell home book-keeper that time has started.

DD has played timed games in NSA, ASA and High School.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid