Games with Time Limits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My question is this: WHEN does the clock start on timed games?
I get different opinions and I do not have access to any of my rule books at the moment (we just finished NFHS,but will be moving on to ASA and USSSA in the next few weeks.
Is there a difference between between the different governing bodies?
I ask because I had one ump tell me it starts at the beginning of the Coach-Umpires meeting. Others have said, at the conclusion of the meeting, others at the time of the first pitch.

Thanks y'all.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA rules say the time starts as of the first pitch. But, locally for tournaments we are instructed the clock starts at the conclusion of the pregame meeting.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Around here, in ASA, USSSA, PONY, the clock always started at the conclusion of the meeting at home plate. I never questioned why.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
An official game should begin with the first pitch. I've seen the examples you state and seen the umps start the clock soon as they enter the field.........."coaches, the clock is running".

Mar 2, 2013
I have never, ever seen an umpire start the clock when they enter the field and I have probably worked 200 tournaments in 15 states. If the umpire says, "the clock is running" when he walks on the field, he is probably indicating to you politely that you should have had your players back in the dugout and ready to start, rather than taking round 12 of hitting whiffle balls.

ASA says it starts at 1st pitch. PONY says it starts when the pre-game conference starts.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not only have I seen it, but had it happen in a few of our games. PU walks on the field and either starts his clock hanging on the backstop or indicates to the scoreboard keeper ( if the scoreboard has a running clock ) to start. I think it's rather rude, as we are paying for those 75 mins. At $25-50 per game ( depending on sanction and tourney ), that's not bad money over a weekend and probably more per hour than their regular jobs.

I'm glad you don't do it, Umpire.

Jun 22, 2008
Not only have I seen it, but had it happen in a few of our games. PU walks on the field and either starts his clock hanging on the backstop or indicates to the scoreboard keeper ( if the scoreboard has a running clock ) to start. I think it's rather rude, as we are paying for those 75 mins. At $25-50 per game ( depending on sanction and tourney ), that's not bad money over a weekend and probably more per hour than their regular jobs.

I'm glad you don't do it, Umpire.

Something you need to take up with the tournament director before you ever play a game. The umpires dont just decide when the clock starts, that is the choice of the TD.

Jul 9, 2012
This is what the USSSa and ASA umps do around here. Say it is a 70 minute time limit tourney. The umpire will announce 71 minutes begins at the end of the coaches meeting. That gives the minute warm up period for the top half of the first inning plus the 70 minutes.

I ask because I recently had one (the FU) tell me that the clock started when the meeting started. We had a 90 minute/5 inning limit.
I had issues with the same (FU) earlier in the season over time as well.

I have never, ever seen an umpire start the clock when they enter the field and I have probably worked 200 tournaments in 15 states. If the umpire says, "the clock is running" when he walks on the field, he is probably indicating to you politely that you should have had your players back in the dugout and ready to start, rather than taking round 12 of hitting whiffle balls.

ASA says it starts at 1st pitch. PONY says it starts when the pre-game conference starts.

And no he was not waiting on us, both teams were in the dugouts waiting for them to get there.

In TB, I have little problem with starting the clock when they get on the field, since everyone is usually ready to go. This was a school tournament game.
I have coached close to 200 games in school ball, and maybe twice that in TB and rec, but I had never heard this.

Thanks for the clarification Umpire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid