game footage analysis please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Hi all got some game footage last week and looking for some input. I slowed it down frame by frame, first two pitches are I believe fastballs, the third a peel drop and last the flip change for the strike out. Right now we are only making small tweaks since we're in the thick of it. In my opinion, she is using only some IR so really focusing on leading with the elbow, and trying to keep palm to sky. Slow process, but I see good improvement since the fall, especially on her posture and front side resistance. Thanks for taking a look.[video=youtube_share;FZL5QuebF58]http://youtu.be/FZL5QuebF58[/video]

Mar 18, 2013
MN
So when I watched the video post back to make sure it worked, I had to laugh - I was watching TV when I analyzed the video on coaches eye and Basic Instinct was on, hence the creepy music! Sorry bout that:p

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I like her leg drive and posture through her leg drive and landing.

For me (non-expert), I see some things with her arm that could be tweaked.

Her arm is really straight from 1:00 to 9:00. I think her arm should be slightly bent in the 12:00 position resulting in more bend in the 10:00 through 7:30 position. This will result in more arm whip, thus more velocity.

Also, I think she needs to finish pulling/rotating the side of her glove on down to her thigh, not necessarily a slap.

She does have somewhat a "hello elbow" finish in that first pitch. With more arm whip going into release and letting the hand go where it wants, I think she'll be throwing a few miles per hour faster and won't have quite the "hello elbow" look about her.

I think these are very easy tweaks and it shouldn't mess her up in the heat of the season. I also think she's well on her way to being a great pitcher. That's my non-expert opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In the second pitch when her arm is in the 9:30 position, it looks kind of like she's trying to get behind the ball to push it, yet by the time she gets to 7:30 her arm looks good to me.

Again, I think there's pent-up speed potential she's not accessing because she's not got a whippy enough arm from roughly 11:00 through into 7:30.

In my opinion, your DD has the foundation to really break out and be a great pitcher.

Just watch the bend in the arm of Sarah Pauly at the different stages of her pitch.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Agree with Doug...the main problem is her arm is straight as an arrow for most of her pitching motion.

she is using only some IR so really focusing on leading with the elbow,

It is sometimes convenient to separate the arm motion into two separate aspects:

(1) The whip
(2) Internal Rotation

"The whip" is the result of "elbow leading the hand" throughout the circle, and then the hand "catching up" to the elbow at release. Because your DD's arm is more or less straight from 12 to release, she is not getting the maximum amount of whip. The drill to increase whip is for your DD to raise her arm to 12 and then bend the elbow as shown in the Sarah Pauly video. She then throws.

She does this drill, and then progresses to doing full arm circles, but emphasizing bending the elbow at the top of the circle.

As to IR, your DD needs to do the infamous "Boardmember" drill:

34t1yf6.gif

Notice that BM has the ball rotated so that his hand is somewhat under the ball at 9. Your DD needs to work on getting her hand more under the ball at 9.

Dec 16, 2010
Hi catchermom

First, I agree with everything Doug posted earlier (which means nothing since I'm less expert).

I recommend you (and dd, if she's inclined) study Boardmember's post #11 here: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18064-ball-up-9-oclock-2.html . In one of my dds, getting to palm up at 9 o'clock improved her whip a lot. And your dd can practice the motion while standing in front of a computer screen reading the post.

Edited to add: I see Sluggers got there first

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks so much for in the input. I really try to emphasize "elbow bend" but it just won't translate to her full pitch. We are going to practice tomorrow so I think we will focus on the 9 and 12 o'clock drills. I agree that she could pick up some MPH's if she can get this down. Thanks Sluggers, I like the "elbow leads the hand, hand then catches up to the elbow" . We will use that tomorrow.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sometimes it helps to take a pitcher down to a lake or pond and have her skip rocks. The only way to skip rocks is to bend the elbow.

(Obviously, the plane is different between pitching and rock skipping...however, the "whip" is the same for both.)

Jul 17, 2012
Wow..One thing that jumps out at me is the fact that she's airborne on each and every one of those 4 pitches. She never has problems with Illegal Pitches?

Other than that, one thing I notice on top of what else has been identified is that she has a very different finish on each of the first 3 pitches. That can present consistancy problems. I can understand a slight variation on the peel.....and obviously the flip.... but if the first 2 are FB's she needs to work on consistancy. The second pitch looked very good from a whip perspective. The first....not so much. That was a push.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd