Front side resistance question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
ch2_zpsdihwrotu.gif

lw4_zps4bx6x0zf.gif

lw1_zpsf5xsgnes.gif

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks Knightsb! Jake's is pretty straight in that one isn't it? before her little adjustment! I had a pic of her with a bit of angle.

Who know's it may be a waste of time for us to head down this path. And maybe worthless for the OP. When I try going through motion myself (haha don't picture it) I found it easier to get better brush with a slight turn than straight at catcher, as well as stopping the knee from wanting to collapse forward . . . Just trying to help DD who is on the quest for a few miles an hour before varsity next year (along with work on drive, spins, locations, etc. etc. etc.)

Jun 18, 2010
When I try going through motion myself (haha don't picture it) I found it easier to get better brush with a slight turn than straight at catcher, as well as stopping the knee from wanting to collapse forward

Watch a pitcher from straight on. Look at their front leg. If they have a stripe on their pants, look at the stripe.
What's causing that front leg action?
What's the relationship between how the front leg moves and the action of the hips?

As the pitcher strides the hips open, just before the stride foot lands, the hips begin to close (core torque, hip snap, whatever you want to call it). The hips partially closing creates a stretch (as the shoulders are still open), and also puts the hips around 45 degrees to be in a good position for the brush interference. The position of the stride foot as it lands is a results of what happened or should happen up stream. JMHO.

lw4_zps4bx6x0zf.gif

sarah_pauly_curve_zpskwz7do0w.gif

Sep 3, 2015
It would be interesting to ask her without showing her pictures or talking to her at all about it what is her thought process when pitching a change versus any other pitch...then have her walk through what she does different on change versus other pitches
I will ask her about that

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Watch a pitcher from straight on. Look at their front leg. If they have a stripe on their pants, look at the stripe.
What's causing that front leg action?
What's the relationship between how the front leg moves and the action of the hips?

As the pitcher strides the hips open, just before the stride foot lands, the hips begin to close (core torque, hip snap, whatever you want to call it). The hips partially closing creates a stretch (as the shoulders are still open), and also puts the hips around 45 degrees to be in a good position for the brush interference. The position of the stride foot as it lands is a results of what happened or should happen up stream. JMHO.

lw4_zps4bx6x0zf.gif

sarah_pauly_curve_zpskwz7do0w.gif

Jeff
Agree 1000% on your observation of the the timing of the hip closing rotation. Many high level pitchers "rotate into foot plant" as you see Sarah doing here.....it gets the engine started creating the "offset timing between the hip rotation and the shoulder rotation".....as you described, it creates diagonal muscle stretch between the non throwing side hip and the throwing side shoulders(pec area). It is a common trait of pitchers who throw fast.....check Ueno for this move.
Coincidently, I just had this very conversation with Steve Englishby (hitting guru).....rotation into foot plant is very common (and desired) in high level hitters.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Although whip and posture would be my primary focus, drive sequence wouldn't be far behind. At "go," I'd like to see a more aggressive attack resulting in her COM already in forward motion when the drive foot strikes the front edge of the plate:

AttackAngle.JPG

I guess I'd call it an early push pattern vs a late push. By early, I mean striking the front edge before the body has begun driving/leaning far enough in the sequence.

Looking at the gifs of Luna and Waldrop, I really like the push-push they use. Both get the body's COM moving forward, then you see both legs push-push resulting in a very efficient drive

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Although whip and posture would be my primary focus, drive sequence wouldn't be far behind. At "go," I'd like to see a more aggressive attack resulting in her COM already in forward motion when the drive foot strikes the front edge of the plate:

View attachment 11874

I guess I'd call it an early push pattern vs a late push. By early, I mean striking the front edge before the body has begun driving/leaning far enough in the sequence.

I agree with what you've said but feel this is part of a much bigger issue. I am convinced that you will not be able to achieve the correct attack angle and correct the late push pattern without addressing the underlying issue... The cause of the late push pattern is the same cause as the poor attack angle that you pointed out... The athlete is conditioned to use her quads instead of her glutes for propulsion.

For people who use quads, achieving the tilt that Ueno has is completely foreign and wholly unnatural. For people who use glutes efficiently, it's much closer to normal. The loading that both athletes above are using is completely different. Ueno's posture almost feels like a weight distribution impossibility for a quad dominant athlete.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I agree with what you've said but feel this is part of a much bigger issue. I am convinced that you will not be able to achieve the correct attack angle and correct the late push pattern without addressing the underlying issue... The cause of the late push pattern is the same cause as the poor attack angle that you pointed out... The athlete is conditioned to use her quads instead of her glutes for propulsion.

For people who use quads, achieving the tilt that Ueno has is completely foreign and wholly unnatural. For people who use glutes efficiently, it's much closer to normal. The loading that both athletes above are using is completely different. Ueno's posture almost feels like a weight distribution impossibility for a quad dominant athlete.

Great points above! So hard to get young players to understand this if they not do it naturally. Firm ankles helps push the muscles used up the leg (quads) into the glutes.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I would caution against considering the front side foot angle as a teaching element. The front side foot/leg turn results from the back leg/hip turn which results from the corresponding arm/scap/back pullback of the throwing arm.

The front side foot/leg angle should be a no teach for the most part... I think if you are having to teach front side turning, there is probably a problem upstream somewhere with her drive and rear hip turn.

Notice the rear hip reacting to the arm pullback, also notice the front leg reacting to the rear hip:

Cat%20Reverse.gif
Osorio%20Reverse.gif
Waldrop%20Reverse.gif
Jake%20Reverse.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad