Friday Check In Time redux

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thank God rec is over and I get a few evenings back...softball is back to a weekend activity mostly. I was getting pretty burned out for the last few weeks with some sort of practice\game\lesson 5 out of 7 days a week. Back to 3 days a week.

Lil DD has a friendly and my guess is they will have an easy time of it, I have not seen them lose a game since she joined about 6 weeks ago, impressive lineup, they have 13 girls that can hit the ball really well. Its a challenge for her to go from a lifetime of 1-4 hitting to having to climb the ladder from the 13 hole as the new girl, but she worked her way back to 10 and after last weekend it will be interesting to see if she cracked the top 9. She wants it BBBAAAADDD. Her first "real" tournament in next week with them so she is excited.

Older DDs team was dark for a few weeks while they replaced the players they lost to the March deadline for choosing between TB and rec all stars. They got a few big bats through a semi-merger with another team so it will be interesting to see how good they are in their first friendlies with the new girls. We took advantage of the dark period to rework her CU and she scrubbed a few more MPH off of it and i think it is deadly now. Can't wait to see if she can throw it well come game time.

With college regular season ball winding down and rec playoffs mostly over it feels like we are all starting the home stretch of the 2015 season. fun times.

Sep 29, 2014
Well, HS JV team is limping along 2-2 they look OK sometimes and terrible others. Usual crazy politics but all in all DD is having an OK time and is getting what she is putting in.

Old habits are all back even tough we thought we had them licked before the season, she volunteered to catch since no one else would and is under a lot of pressure along with the one pitcher we have....fun,fun.

Game tonight.

Jun 7, 2013
We have a big softball weekend for their high school teams coming up for both my DDs. My youngest was supposed to play this evening, but she is sick. She is hoping that she is well tomorrow for two games. My oldest DD has three games tomorrow in a tournament. On Sunday my youngest has a softball team building exercise for her TB team where they will go see the local college team play.

Feb 7, 2013
DD's 12U team playing up in 14U Firecracker Friendly. The goal is to not get mercied all 4 games. Will report back on Monday.;)

Forgot to mention DD and I are going to the Arizona v UCLA game on Saturday. Hope to see Ally Carda pitch against the best team batting average (.371) in the nation.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Rec season closing ceremonies on Saturday...the 8U team DD and I coached did better than expected...very proud of them...

DD has a HS varsity game in the morning - then rush to the rec picnic/closing ceremonies...and counting down to graduation :cool:

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
DD is playing a Showcase this Sunday. Should be interesting.
She is a second year 14U RHP playing in a 16U/18U showcase while just recovering from shoulder tendinitis.

Sep 18, 2011
Tough time for dd. Her teammates live in MN and are playing school ball. She will be a pickup player for a local team this weekend. Hope it goes well. It will be fun to FINALLY see her play some softball, but I fear that she will be very rusty.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD #3 is a week away from the start of rec ball. Always the Saturday before Mothers' Day. A week after that a friendly TB scrimmage, and a week after that she has her first tournament of the year.

DD #2 still out for the (track) season from a minor injury.

DD #1 still out forever from softball, unless she decides to play again in the future. Maybe she will join some league in college, or not.

DS is on cloud nine right now. A boat race that had been cancelled due to weather was rescheduled for tomorrow. His Milwaukee School of Engineering team will face Marquette and Northwestern tomorrow morning. No contest. MSOE is far stronger. DW and I will probably miss that race, and Sunday will head to Milwaukee for the team banquet.

BUT, the real reason he is on cloud nine: his coach recruited 5 experienced freshman rowers. Four of them will fly to Philadelphia next week to row on the Schuylkill River. He started out the season as one of the top 4, but spent most of the season as the odd man out. Tomorrow he races with the top 4. Which means he may have earned a trip to Philadelphia. The Schuylkill is probably one of the two nicest rivers in the country on which to row, the other being the Charles River.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
DD #3 is a week away from the start of rec ball. Always the Saturday before Mothers' Day. A week after that a friendly TB scrimmage, and a week after that she has her first tournament of the year.

DD #2 still out for the (track) season from a minor injury.

DD #1 still out forever from softball, unless she decides to play again in the future. Maybe she will join some league in college, or not.

DS is on cloud nine right now. A boat race that had been cancelled due to weather was rescheduled for tomorrow. His Milwaukee School of Engineering team will face Marquette and Northwestern tomorrow morning. No contest. MSOE is far stronger. DW and I will probably miss that race, and Sunday will head to Milwaukee for the team banquet.

BUT, the real reason he is on cloud nine: his coach recruited 5 experienced freshman rowers. Four of them will fly to Philadelphia next week to row on the Schuylkill River. He started out the season as one of the top 4, but spent most of the season as the odd man out. Tomorrow he races with the top 4. Which means he may have earned a trip to Philadelphia. The Schuylkill is probably one of the two nicest rivers in the country on which to row, the other being the Charles River.

Remind your DS about those ropes at the end of the course- they mark the waterfall! My first year rowing in a novice boat at the head of the Schuykill, we won our race and relaxed with our oars in our laps enjoying our victory- and promptly sailed under those slimy ropes, stopped paying attention all together and drifted towards the falls- generating some additional excitement!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Remind your DS about those ropes at the end of the course- they mark the waterfall! My first year rowing in a novice boat at the head of the Schuykill, we won our race and relaxed with our oars in our laps enjoying our victory- and promptly sailed under those slimy ropes, stopped paying attention all together and drifted towards the falls- generating some additional excitement!

I thought you were joking about the waterfall, until I found some pictures on the internet of boats going over the falls.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4113/4839045505_6c810d24be_b.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55