Frequently hitting the dirt on RH side?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
I am frequently hitting the dirt on the catcher's left hand side, horizontally the same spot most of the time.
Now that I think about it, when I release the ball I just kind of "let go" or "unfold" my fingers away from the ball.

What's the proper way to grip the ball? The thumb always feel obstructive and the index and middle feel powerless to me. Should I focus on apply a lot of pressure via the finger tips like, to scratch it violently?
:confused:

May 7, 2009
Any thoughts on this. Every once in a while my daughter will shoot one low into the dirt on the catchers left hand side. When Im catcher her it almost looks as if she is not squaring her wrist to the plate before release or she is leading her snap with her pinky and uncurling...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
A lot of times this can be caused by closing the hips before the pitching arm has come past the hip. It can also be caused by stepping too far to the left, which causes you to square up to the plate.

Oct 3, 2009
I am frequently hitting the dirt on the catcher's left hand side, horizontally the same spot most of the time.
Now that I think about it, when I release the ball I just kind of "let go" or "unfold" my fingers away from the ball.

What's the proper way to grip the ball? The thumb always feel obstructive and the index and middle feel powerless to me. Should I focus on apply a lot of pressure via the finger tips like, to scratch it violently?
:confused:

My dd had a very similar issue and her problem was on her takeaway her arm was getting behind her back. This caused the arm circle to naturally plane toward the catcher's left side. And interestingly enough but maybe unrelated when she did that she tended to miss her release and dump it in the dirt.

So just something to look at potentially. The best solution for us was for her to do her motion in front of a mirror and see the plane of her arm circle for herself.

Jul 15, 2008
I also noticed that the side of my ring finger(the side that face middle finger) is the only spot to feel sore after practising. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01