Foul ball vs foul tip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Hi;

Can anyone let me know either the rule stated by the following umpire comply with ISF or not? This is really new to me. I thought the foul tip also considered a dead ball.

Fastpitch TV Softball Network » Blog Archive » Foul Tips And Foul Balls – Mike Kelly – Episode 1

A foul tip is a ball which travels sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's hands and/or mitt and is caught prior to the ball touching the ground. A foul tip is a live ball in ALL baseball and softball rule sets.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
To directly answer your question, on a foul tip the ball always remains live. Essentially, a foul tip is treated exactly the same as a swing and a miss. The ball stays live and the batter is charged with a strike.

I'm not sure if the guy in the video does the best job in the world of explaining all that, but he seems to have the gist of it. He does go off the rails a little bit right at the end...

While explaing that a foul tip isn't an out, unless it's the third strike, he explains that if the batter has no strikes and foul tips one then it's strike one. Then he says if the batter foul tips another one, it's strike two. Finally, he explains that if the batter does this a third time it would be strike three- "unless the catcher doesn't catch the ball, in which case it would be a dropped third strike, but the ball would still be live and runners could still advance".

Ummm....no. If the batter nicked the ball straight back with the bat and the catcher didn't catch it, it would just be a plain old foul ball (ie: a dead ball and there could be no advance by the runners).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC