For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Has there ever been any fast pitch pro, male or female, step into the box against any pro baseball pitcher, much less an elite one? Bet those MLB guys would make her/him look bad.
Love to see em face Randy Johnson, or Glavine, Maddux, or Pedro, Nolan, Wakefield, ...the list goes on....

Both genders would have to adjust. But that isn't proof that the swings are the same, it proves they are different. They are different because of swing plane and ball movement. But also the women must in general be more technical in their execution because women lack the upper body strength to muscle a ball 450 feet. You seem to be making an argument about who is better, men or women. The answer is neither! They are just different playing a different game. It is even true in footwork. I saw a 3B for Baltimore take 5 steps after fielding a backhand and throwing out a runner at 1B. How many fast-pitch Shortstops have you seen double, or triple-pump before a throw. Women have to have very precise feet to be successful in spite of the fact that they are gripping a much bigger ball. My Junior National team focuses on footwork every single practice, usually 3 or 4 different drills and an hour or more time. They backhand and throw in one step after catching the ball for instance, bracing on the right foot, and throwing, not 5 steps. Michael Young of Texas was one of the best at this. Most baseball players are not. But fielding like Michael Young would have taken away Jeter's jump throw and what a sad thing for Yankee fans.

Attachments

• MichaelYoung backhand.jpg
    MichaelYoung backhand.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I will nibble at this :)
Would have luved the opportunity to hit off faster better bb pitching when i had the opportunity to play in womans pro bb league.

At batting practice those
90 mph bb pitches from the minor league baseball guys was like waiting for a bus.
Wait for it......
Wait for it......
( yeah they had men throw bp to us curves, sliders, off speed, and fastballs, looked like they got frustrated...)

Which reminds me~
Reaction times are different between the sports also !!!
Less reaction time in FP from when pitcher releases the pitch!

Hmmm maybe thats another post?!!!!

Glad to read Bobby S. you see the importance of making adjustments!

At the top end, this is very true. Reaction time is less, requiring the women/girls to have more precise mechanics to be successful. Gary Sheffield would have been a total bust against Yukiko Ueno, Monica Abbott, or Rachael Garcia (who is Filipina by the way). In fact any girl that could throw 70mph or more.

Oct 26, 2019
Both genders would have to adjust. But that isn't proof that the swings are the same, it proves they are different. They are different because of swing plane and ball movement. But also the women must in general be more technical in their execution because women lack the upper body strength to muscle a ball 450 feet. You seem to be making an argument about who is better, men or women. The answer is neither! They are just different playing a different game. It is even true in footwork. I saw a 3B for Baltimore take 5 steps after fielding a backhand and throwing out a runner at 1B. How many fast-pitch Shortstops have you seen double, or triple-pump before a throw. Women have to have very precise feet to be successful in spite of the fact that they are gripping a much bigger ball. My Junior National team focuses on footwork every single practice, usually 3 or 4 different drills and an hour or more time. They backhand and throw in one step after catching the ball for instance, bracing on the right foot, and throwing, not 5 steps. Michael Young of Texas was one of the best at this. Most baseball players are not. But fielding like Michael Young would have taken away Jeter's jump throw and what a sad thing for Yankee fans.

The lack of upper body strength is more than negated by the much smaller fences and the bats. I have 2 10U girls that can hit it out of a 200ft field. There isn’t a 10 year old boy in America that can leave the park at a full size baseball field. Also, don’t we hit with our legs and core anyway? Aren’t females stronger in those areas?

As far as fielding goes in softball you don’t have to have as much behind the throw on the small field. In baseball you can usually get away with one extra shuffle on a routine ball. That 3rd baseman you saw had time because big leaguers don’t run out groundballs. No one at the high level of baseball teaches extra steps by an infielder or double pumps.

I agree with you that they are different games with different techniques, but let’s not make things up about baseball.

Oct 26, 2019
At the top end, this is very true. Reaction time is less, requiring the women/girls to have more precise mechanics to be successful. Gary Sheffield would have been a total bust against Yukiko Ueno, Monica Abbott, or Rachael Garcia (who is Filipina by the way). In fact any girl that could throw 70mph or more.

If you think a guy with 509 career homeruns and a .292 career average couldn’t figure out how to hit a softball to at least the level of success that others had against those pitchers (which wasn’t a lot) that’s just crazy talk

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
The lack of upper body strength is more than negated by the much smaller fences and the bats. I have 2 10U girls that can hit it out of a 200ft field. There isn’t a 10 year old boy in America that can leave the park at a full size baseball field. Also, don’t we hit with our legs and core anyway? Aren’t females stronger in those areas?

As far as fielding goes in softball you don’t have to have as much behind the throw on the small field. In baseball you can usually get away with one extra shuffle on a routine ball. That 3rd baseman you saw had time because big leaguers don’t run out groundballs. No one at the high level of baseball teaches extra steps by an infielder or double pumps.

I agree with you that they are different games with different techniques, but let’s not make things up about baseball.

But Towny 9, I am not setting any parameters, fences, balls, bats, etc. There were no parameters set within the post in question. It was more like comparing men to women. That is why it CAN NOT be seen that they are just different playing a different game, as you point out. The fact that all those differences you and I mentioned demonstrate that the games are not the same. Therefore isn't it logical that the techniques be a little different? Not all. I think the swings are 95% the same, at least to the ideals of a baseball swing. But the nuances between the two are what spells success in the game of fastpitch.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
If you think a guy with 509 career homeruns and a .292 career average couldn’t figure out how to hit a softball to at least the level of success that others had against those pitchers (which wasn’t a lot) that’s just crazy talk

When a man, and many baseball players approach hitting a great softball pitcher with some arrogance, they fail precisely for what you are mentioning. The adjustments needed just prove the point! They do not negate the differences, they prove them. In time baseball players could kill the ball. Sure! But the demonstration of these contests is simply evidence of the difference in the swings and game. And yes, it would go both ways! Barry Bonds was really rude to Jenny Finch after their little contest.

Oct 26, 2019
If we accept that the balls come in on different planes then the swing planes have to be different. I don’t see how anyone could dispute that. I guess I don’t ever talk swing planes when doing baseball or softball instruction, so I don’t get the big deal. If you learn to handle the bat so you can hit to all fields and elevate the ball or hit a ground ball on command then the swing plane takes care of itself

May 12, 2016
He could figure it out, the point is he would have to figure it out... different game, different movement, different perspective.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Now, I see people confused as to the ability to use the same mechanics to hit both sports as being swing plane. Regardless of sport, you have to take a basic swing mechanics and adjust to all planes in a swing. A swing that lacks "adjustibility" (I know that isn't a word.) is what you see at the most basic level of tee ball. When I coach about the use of the core, the concept of "connection" as it applies to both the hands/shoulder relationship and the relationship of what the body does when the front heel hits, is exactly the same. The whole notion that MLB players couldn't hit ... is nonsense. Given the time and practice, they would be better than pretty much everyone at hitting the softball. The vast majority of the best FP male players in this country started out as baseball players. The learned how to adjust. Well, these are my opinions. My opinion and roughly $7.50 will get you an extra value meal at Micky Ds. Oh, and yes, I did play both.allaseball to college and FP with four guys who ended up in the State of Illinois ASA FP Hall of Fame.
To me this is NOT about if a swing is for bb or FP.
*It is about recognizing what most have agreed on
Pitch angle difference.

Perhaps simply thinking about what adjustment some might make is the key ellement.

1. Theres seeing the pitch and making an
' in pitch adjustment.'

2. Theres making an adjustment in mechanic form like an elbow (or body part)
Adjusted/changed. To NOT have to make so much adjustments during a pitch.
( basically slight change to mechanics that is trained with)

In other words what can be improved in the mechanics so that there isnt so much adjusting needed every pitch.

It could be said adjusting all the time could
= inconsistency.

Have heard coaches in games talking to their batters in the box saying
"Start with your hands higher,
Make an adjustment"

That imo is not just an adjustment, its changing a factor of mechanics, comfortability and then the obvious phyisical approach excetra.
( how is rest of swing go to handle the change during swing) = mechanics change.

Side note: cannonball while i do appreciate your experience offered in your feedback!!!. As a reminder not everyone hits how you teach.
Consider those hitting mechanics that have less adjustability during pitches.
As some mechanics immediatly make a commitment to approach that causes detriment to being able to adjust.
( this is how calling the right pitches against batters can work so well! Recognizing certain hitting mechanics have more limits than others!)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12