For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Why are we still talking all this nonsense. Baseball pitches come in around 9-10 deg. I just showed the chart where fastpitch pitches come in at a DOWNARD angle of 7-8 deg. That's almost identical.

The science is settled. :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You practice swing at pitches at your neck?? Come on, man, we're talking about pitches in the strike zone (see below)

Fastpitch balls coming in the strike zone are all coming in at a downward angle like baseball. You MUST swing using an upward launch angle, or the ball will go straight to the ground and never miss the infield.

View attachment 17908
Are you ignoring its a different angle?
Or
Saying its the same angle?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Maybe the easiest pitch to get hitters to swing at is the high hard one, fast pitch or baseball. Might as well practice how to hit moon shots out of the park :devilish: . Attitude is everything.
99% of people can't hit balls IN the strike zone. I think I would focus on that until I was playing pro.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Why are we still talking all this nonsense. Baseball pitches come in around 9-10 deg. I just showed the chart where fastpitch pitches come in at a DOWNARD angle of 7-8 deg. That's almost identical.

The science is settled.
Disagree.
Because there is greater variance between what you posted.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Are you ignoring its a different angle?
Or
Saying its the same angle?
I'm saying you dont swing at pitches out of the strike zone. I could throw a pitch up to the roof and the angle would be 90 deg, and I'm not going to PRACTICE swinging at that. We shouldn't practice swinging at balls in the dirt either.

We have to concern ourselves with how to practice swinging at pitches coming in at a downward angle of 7-8 for fastpitch, or 8-9 for baseball. You should be using a bat launch angle of 20-30 deg to get the ball to go out of the infield. If you use zero launch angle (flat) or downward, the ball distance cant reach 50 feet.

Your kid's biggest enemy is time. Don't waste time on things that are counterproductive, or destructive.

I'm here to help. I've been doing this a long time. I don't make money doing this, not an instructor, or an Instagram star. :)

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
99% of people can't hit balls IN the strike zone. I think I would focus on that until I was playing pro.
Here's an interesting thread

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I'm saying you dont swing at pitches out of the strike zone. I could throw a pitch up to the roof and the angle would be 90 deg, and I'm not going to PRACTICE swinging at that. We shouldn't practice swinging at balls in the dirt either.

We have to concern ourselves with how to practice swinging at pitches coming in at a downward angle of 7-8 for fastpitch, or 8-9 for baseball. You should be using a bat launch angle of 20-30 deg to get the ball to go out of the infield. If you use zero launch angle (flat) or downward, the ball distance cant reach 50 feet.

Your kid's biggest enemy is time. Don't waste time on things that are counterproductive, or destructive.

I'm here to help. I've been doing this a long time. I don't make money doing this, not an instructor, or an Instagram star. :)
This is an example of one the best reasons to post on DFP. The opportunity to bring topics up to think about!

Without any doubt.
There are pitches called strikes that are out of the strikezone!

For anybody to ignore pitchers setting up batters.
The use of the area outside the strikezone.
Ignoring these facts will hinder success.

Glad you have been doing this a long time. Hope you are still enjoying the sport!
Please take a look at the post in practical hitting
SHOULD BATTERS TRAIN ON PITCHES OUT OF THE ZONE.
perhaps you will add to the discussion!

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

1590342649220.png

If we are only swinging at strikes, then how far does the ball need to drop for a strike?
Avg pitchers vertical release point is 75 Inches
Avg top of strike zone is 41 inches
Avg bottom of strike zone is 21 inches
1590342546181.png

Attachments

• 1590342548896.png
    1590342548896.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
May 12, 2016
Drop ball and change up, and combination of drop curve etc all dip. I agree the swing plane needs to match the plane of the pitch and posture established dictates that. However I’ve seen many times over the years some fast pitch pitchers have a natural rise.. what I mean by that is their fast ball is flatter because they get under the ball and apply a spin they don’t even intend on doing. I’ve seen our girls struggle for the first couple of innings against kids like this... they didn’t react correctly, their instincts were off etc. It wasn’t until we(coach) told them that her fast ball wasnt dropping, flatter trajectory and you need to stay on top of the ball more. Then the girls started hitting the pitcher. Of course that’s whey they laddies who can pitch drop, rise etc are so effective.

Jul 29, 2013
Its unfortunet BS that while you may have some experience to offer. You dont want recognize the topic.
As a ball player your camaraderie and sportsmanship is lacking!
It's usual and customary on this site to attack the person when the argument is lost.
Do you feel like you've lost just because I questioned your data?
Recognize the topic? My question was focused on pitch plane differences and the source of the data. What's the topic again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45