For HS Coaches: Daily Attendance %

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
What I'm seeing a lot of is "100%...with exceptions."

What I'm really looking for is what you actually get each day. How often do you actually get 100% attendance and how often do those legitimate situations pop up?

varsity players - i.e. starters and those who come off the bench with some frequency......100% is the norm, with very rare exceptions if they are in school

we only had 16 girls in the program last year.......i'd guess 10-12 never missed a day

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It is usually better to care too much. You can typically work with parents/players who display this trait to show them that letting go a bit will actually improve things (which they will often respond to since they do care). It will take some longer than others to make the connection and some won’t ever get there, but I would still choose that situation over apathy every time. Making somebody care is a lot more difficult.

My best parents are all ones other teachers/coaches warned me about. Having the warning helped. It got me to engage with them right away, and I got to know them personally before they decided they didn't like how I coached.

Jan 25, 2022
My older daughter's HS team (small, small town) has like 20, and generally only maybe two are absent.

May 20, 2015
the ones that don't miss practice tend to be the best players.......funny how that works

May 4, 2014
So Cal
100% is expected and achieved most of the time. Excuses have to be for valid reasons. Attendance will affect play time.

As to what is actually achieved on any given day: I have 15 players and have all 15 on average 3 days a week - 14 the other two and the reason it’s not 15 every day has been one out with covid for two weeks and another out for a different week with flu - hard to give you exact numbers without going thru atttemdance but it hovers above 94% and ALL are valid excuses…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
the problem I hate to see is 2 players miss games for spring break, 1 for valid school conflict, 1 for family vacation. 1 gets punished by the published 'book' and 1 gets a free pass.

yeah, hypocrite coaches are a big pet peeve of mine.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
the problem I hate to see is 2 players miss games for spring break, 1 for valid school conflict, 1 for family vacation. 1 gets punished by the published 'book' and 1 gets a free pass.

yeah, hypocrite coaches are a big pet peeve of mine.

Games during spring break? School conflict during spring break? School conflict and family vacation aren’t really equal excuses albeit why you would have games or a school conflict during spring break is puzzling…I’m not understanding the school conflict vs family vacation and the published “book” - what did you mean again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
the published book was miss any games during season, you sit same number of games upon your return. (like player handbook if you will.) given to all players and parents months before season started. UNLESS school conflict related. IE band trip, science stuff etc. And it specifically stated family vacations are NOT approved reasons to miss. 4 games were scheduled during spring break.

Little miss coach's pet missed all 4 games due to a family vacation, never sat. SEVERAL girls miss for a required choral concert trip, all had to sit out upon return.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
May 20, 2015
Also, not sure if this rule applies to the stated case as it involves two different sports. At least in MI, which has the same type rule, it is meant to limit participating in the same sport during the prescribed HS season.
maine is any sport.....you can't miss softball because of AAU basketball, for example

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi