For HS Coaches: Daily Attendance %

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
100% - especially for the varsity players - the expectation is that without a valid excuse (Drs appt, etc) - if you're at school, you're at practice

JV attendance is a little spottier.......but that may be part of the reason they are JV ;)

DD’s school has same coaching staff for JH and HS. And through other parents (with players in HS), I understand the expectation is 100%. For JV and Varsity.

It’s how they run the JH program as well. Last year there was a girl who prioritized her club volleyball over school softball practice. She’s a good player. But because other girls were attending all practices this girl hit last and never started unless someone else was hurt or absent.

May 20, 2015
DD’s school has same coaching staff for JH and HS. And through other parents (with players in HS), I understand the expectation is 100%. For JV and Varsity.

It’s how they run the JH program as well. Last year there was a girl who prioritized her club volleyball over school softball practice. She’s a good player. But because other girls were attending all practices this girl hit last and never started unless someone else was hurt or absent.

here in HS you cannot miss a HS event (practice or game) for a club team event......

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good topic!
Min. 90%
Support if High School sport could instead of having activities 5 days a week for the players only 4 days instead.
Everyone has same day off.
Could provide one day off during the week for them to plan incidental Necessities for their life. Even if only for extra study time, would give everybody an opportunity to get on the same page of schedule and plan ahead.

Consistently missing a team practice every week would stand out more than you missed practice once this month.
Sometimes happens by poor planning. Lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency on ours.

Possibly best standards are being able to have only a certain amount of excusable/excuses for missing practice and regardless of those a standard of applying restrictions on playing time in either case.

Because there are people who will make priorities a priority regardless of other life circumstances.
(But not all plan)

Obviously things like going to a funeral is out of the control of planning by the player. But things like I have a big test tomorrow I have to study for have to miss practice... could have been planned ahead by previously studying for the course and not having to cram out those two or three hours of practice.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
Interesting. Not sure about HS here on that. But at the JH level I’ve seen multiple instances of practices missed for a club/travel event.

yeah, the MPA doesn't regulate MS sports here......while MS coaches are considered part of the program when it comes to working with players offseason and such, regulation of MS teams is local

that rule is for HS only

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What I'm seeing a lot of is "100%...with exceptions."

What I'm really looking for is what you actually get each day. How often do you actually get 100% attendance and how often do those legitimate situations pop up?

Apr 20, 2015
My daughter plays 3 varsity sports. Softball is her #1. Expectations for all 3 are 100% attendance except for illness,emergency, or class event. She has missed both practices and games for softball camps and travel ball during soccer and basketball season. She has never missed anything during softball season. We have always had a conversation with the coach before the season letting them know and letting us know what the consequences would be. This gives both parties the opportunity to decide that it’s not worth their time. Fortunately she is exceptionally gifted and her coaches have always been willing to work with her. When she misses they are always updating her and wishing her good luck. We are blessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2019
FWIW, the reasons girls have missed so far this year: death in the family; band/robotics competitions; absent from school; various doctor's appointments, including getting an updated physical; and then the stuff that definitely isn't excused: dad's birthday, parent didn't feel like driving, parent is an a-hole who occasionally just wants to show what a big tough guy he is so he says his daughter can't make practice (this player is a senior and has been with us since 7th grade; I don't know if her dad has ever come to a game).

I would love 100% attendance, but with so many it does seem there will always be something. This year, most of the somethings have been legitimate.

Our program does better than most at the school, but I make my expectations known and players do lose playing time for missing. Sounds like we're not meeting the standards of state championship contenders, though we're nowhere near that level of play. Something to strive for though.
Non-supportive parents are the worst. Or, is it the helicopter parents??? idk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Non-supportive parents are the worst. Or, is it the helicopter parents??? idk

I've had more of the former, and I do believe that' worse. I've had some luck with the latter by getting to know them, asking them for help with non-coaching things, etc. We've still had the occasional issue at the 10u level, but it's mostly worked out ok. Don't shut those parents out. Make them part of things in some way.

Jun 8, 2016
I've had more of the former, and I do believe that' worse. I've had some luck with the latter by getting to know them, asking them for help with non-coaching things, etc. We've still had the occasional issue at the 10u level, but it's mostly worked out ok. Don't shut those parents out. Make them part of things in some way.
It is usually better to care too much. You can typically work with parents/players who display this trait to show them that letting go a bit will actually improve things (which they will often respond to since they do care). It will take some longer than others to make the connection and some won’t ever get there, but I would still choose that situation over apathy every time. Making somebody care is a lot more difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi