Football Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Sparky told us about the football drill in a early post (link is below) and i want to throw out there...how good this drill is.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/4623-sevenframepitching-sixframepitching-2.html#post45422

After two weeks (six practices) of adding it into practice...he is right...she has the tendency to cup it and it irritated her that she couldn't do it and irritating her more that I can.:) She is getting better with it but it will take a while longer.

Throwing the football seems to be working a few things.
She can tell when she does internally rotate the arm slightly early…she can ‘feel” what i am talking about by doing the football toss. This is addressing the elbow slotting better and the whipping from the elbow feeling. It really gives us a way to communicate the feel and verbal descriptions better than anything else we have done.

Contraction and staying open…rather than closing hips…she can feel the difference with what I am talking about…by doing this drill because if she closes hips early…the ball is affected. That hasn’t transferred over to pitching and keeping hips open more yet..but I think it will.

Is a really good wrist action exercise...helping to develop her finger/wrist strength too as she has small hands.

The over all feel of it is just great…this is just a very good exercise that I wish, I had been using a few years now.

Thanks for that drill Sparky!

Will update in a month or so where we are at and redo video. I know I already don’t like catching the ball in the palm of my glove…its sooo painful! I do wear more gear now especially being indoors. I think we have the ball circle path corrected. We have shortened the stride and stopped the pop up. If we can get the contraction down we should be on our way. We are excited to be going again.

Nov 29, 2009
I love the drill for the girls I work with and so do the parent who are working with the pitchers. The ball doesn't lie. If it's done right the ball seems to float at you. Anything else is immediately visible with no argument.

I would love to get you a video of my daughter doing it but its been in the teens and 20's around here with snow on the ground for the last 4 weeks.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
This cold has been ridiculous already! Hopefully we will get a reprieve and you can get a video...it would be great to see what someone that is good at it does.

I am sooo impressed with the feel of this exercise...I think i am going to drop one thing we do and do more sets of this.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I also like the football drill. The only thing to keep in mind is that it encourages a bulletspin release. But it is a good drill for creating proper arm action on the downswing.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I got a drill that's better than the football drill. It's called throwing a softball. It is great practice for "throwing a softball".

Nov 29, 2009
I got a drill that's better than the football drill. It's called throwing a softball. It is great practice for "throwing a softball".

Coach,

Never discount something unless you've seen it in action and what it does to help train the pitcher's snap when they are throwing a softball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish