foot on the plate during at bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I have never seen a drop dead revert to the previous inning if the Home Team had gone ahead. I have seen them where it's drop dead and that's score so you always take visitors. You see something new every day.

Oct 24, 2010
I have never seen a drop dead revert to the previous inning if the Home Team had gone ahead. ...
It's also unusual to revert back if the home team manages to tie in its last half inning. I can't remember ever seeing an example, because it's counter to the objective of the game: score more runs than your opponent in the same number of turns at bat (innings).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe different parts of the country have different tourney styles. Around here, the younger kids finish the inning after a 70 minute game time limit. Showcase tourneys for older kids have a drop dead time limit of usually 80 minute time limit. Drop dead means finish the batter only.

Jun 22, 2008
I have never seen a drop dead revert to the previous inning if the Home Team had gone ahead. I have seen them where it's drop dead and that's score so you always take visitors. You see something new every day.

Daughters team got screwed out of playing in the championship game because of this very situation. Our team was home, had just taken the lead 1-2 in 5th inning. 2 outs, 2 strikes on batter when they decided the weather had gotten to bad to continue and called the game. The tournament directors insisted since the 5th inning was not completed even though we were home team the score reverted to last complete inning, giving the win to the visitors. No amount of arguing with them seemed to make them understand the home team was ahead when the game was called.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hear you Comp! This happens quite frequently. Also, that is why some teams have to really pour it on and bunt and steal when they are in the lead. I hate the revert back to the last full inning junk.

I guess we could have our batter, cross in front of the plate, as the pitcher is getting ready to deliver the ball - for the out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Daughters team got screwed out of playing in the championship game because of this very situation. Our team was home, had just taken the lead 1-2 in 5th inning. 2 outs, 2 strikes on batter when they decided the weather had gotten to bad to continue and called the game. The tournament directors insisted since the 5th inning was not completed even though we were home team the score reverted to last complete inning, giving the win to the visitors. No amount of arguing with them seemed to make them understand the home team was ahead when the game was called.

That's what happens when you let a non-rule person make the decision. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Let me guess, the Visitor team's org was the one running the tourney.

Jul 2, 2013
Very similar happened in SC 3A HS playoff game last year.

Raining buckets in the fifth inning, and team #1 goes ahead ... 3-2.

In top of the sixth, team #2 scores 2 runs and goes up 4-3.

Now field unplayable, the umpires stop the game after 5-1/2 innings, and inform both sides the game will be picked up as is the next day.

An hour later, the HS League reversed the call, and declared team #1 the victory by reverting back to the 5th inning 3-2.

Team #2, who now lost, gets lawyers involved. Takes a week as the fight goes to the state capitol. Decision is to play a second game from scratch, like the rain out game never happened.

Team #1 wins second game and advances (while every other high school teams waits a week).

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Very similar happened in SC 3A HS playoff game last year.

Raining buckets in the fifth inning, and team #1 goes ahead ... 3-2.

In top of the sixth, team #2 scores 2 runs and goes up 4-3.

Now field unplayable, the umpires stop the game after 5-1/2 innings, and inform both sides the game will be picked up as is the next day.

An hour later, the HS League reversed the call, and declared team #1 the victory by reverting back to the 5th inning 3-2.

Team #2, who now lost, gets lawyers involved. Takes a week as the fight goes to the state capitol. Decision is to play a second game from scratch, like the rain out game never happened.

Team #1 wins second game and advances (while every other high school teams waits a week).

Under FED rules, unless the SC athletic association has different game ending procedures for weather the game was regulation after 5 full innings. When the game was called for weather the correct procedure was to revert the score to the last complete inning as the home team had not yet completed last at bat.

In the situation I posted, my daughters team was the home team and was at bat with the lead when the game was called. Under any rule set they should have been the winner as the home team was in the lead and at bat when the game was called as regulation.

Jul 2, 2013
Under FED rules, unless the SC athletic association has different game ending procedures for weather the game was regulation after 5 full innings. When the game was called for weather the correct procedure was to revert the score to the last complete inning as the home team had not yet completed last at bat.

In the situation I posted, my daughters team was the home team and was at bat with the lead when the game was called. Under any rule set they should have been the winner as the home team was in the lead and at bat when the game was called as regulation.

I understand the home team thing. But it IS travel ball, probably a younger age, and stupid things happen ALL the time.

Yes, SC plays under FED rules. The reason the lawyers were able to get involved in this case was the umpires did not follow the appropriate rain delay procedure. If they had waited the required time, and informed the teams properly, it would not have been challenged by the legal system.

It did change the umpire instructions for rain games thereafter in my opinion. We played shortly after (4A division). Very important game. As soon as there was any amount of rain, they immediately suspended the game. Waited, the rain stopped, and we continued. Previous instructions were to always try everything to get the game in, even if shortened.

That was the other aspect of the 3A game in question. The rain was coming down so hard in the 5th, when team #1 gained the lead, it should not have been played either.

In my opinion also, the game changes so much for the pitchers to grip a wet ball, that important games (like HS where communities get involved, and hire lawyers) it is better to stop games when it is obvious the game is being effected by a wet ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA