"Flying Elbow" after release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I have heard several times on this site that you do not want to have a "flying elbow" after release. Would you consider Ueno's release a flying elbow and is it poor meachanics or just a natural release for her using internal rotation? NOTE: If someone can send the link, I grabbed this from the "internal rotation" thread and for some reason it only shows up as a thumbnail and not the video. Thanks.

Attachments

• oa3bf8[1].jpg
    oa3bf8[1].jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
You can find the video on the pitching videos thread. Her elbow is a result of follow through. The elbow is close to the hip through release. If you have seen her curve her elbow is out after but that is from the wrist action during release.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
You can find the video on the pitching videos thread. Her elbow is a result of follow through. The elbow is close to the hip through release. If you have seen her curve her elbow flys but that is from the wrist action during release.

So is the concern with a flying elbow prior to release not after? Also, would the recommendation be to finish the release with the arm and hand somewhere up and to the left side (for RHP) and does it have to be in the same spot eveytime for consistency or does it even matter as long as you have correct mechanics prior to release?

May 13, 2008
What the glove arm does after the hands separate does not necessarily have any bearing on the pitch as long as the front shoulder does not close early. In other words, as long as the lead should stays open until release it doesn't matter what the glove hand/arm does. In many cases, however, the glove arm flying out will take the shoulder with it. IMO, it is far easier to maintain proper mechanics if you keep the glove arm under control.

Jan 27, 2010
The flying elbow that happens prior or during release when the shoulder tenses and lifts up is a problem.The arm and hand may end differently according to the style and pitch being thrown.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
So the "flying elbow" is a concern both on the throwing arm and glove arm? I thought the glove arm flying was called "swimming" and the "flying elbow" was more of an issue with the throwing arm? The reason I ask is my DD has recently been finishing with the throwing arm elbow pointed towards 3B, then straightens out. I know many PCs teach to finish with elbow pointing towards the catcher, but this is probably wrong?

Jan 27, 2010
So the "flying elbow" is a concern both on the throwing arm and glove arm? I thought the glove arm flying was called "swimming" and the "flying elbow" was more of an issue with the throwing arm? The reason I ask is my DD has recently been finishing with the throwing arm elbow pointed towards 3B, then straightens out. I know many PCs teach to finish with elbow pointing towards the catcher, but this is probably wrong?
You wouldn't happen to have any recent video that you could post.I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are asking.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Sounds like the after effect of IR. May be a good thing.

This was my thought as well that the elbow might naturally point towards the third base side immediately after release when using some form of IR mechanics, so I don't necessarily want her to fight this follow through (i.e. it might be less stressful on the elbow and shoulder) than forcing it up to an "L", muscle position.

tojo - I am not comfortable posting video of my young DD on the internet, but if I can get some video with her face redacted or wearing a mask I might post some for review. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2010
This was my thought as well that the elbow might naturally point towards the third base side immediately after release when using some form of IR mechanics, so I don't necessarily want her to fight this follow through (i.e. it might be less stressful on the elbow and shoulder) than forcing it up to an "L", muscle position.

tojo - I am not comfortable posting video of my young DD on the internet, but if I can get some video with her face redacted or wearing a mask I might post some for review. Thanks.

I understand why you may not be comfortable posting a video. I hope you understand that I wouldn't be comfortable giving you my opinion blindly on this aspect of her motion since injury may be possible with the wrong advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1