Flip change help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
my 10u dd who is moving up this fall has been pitching for a year now, she has been working on her flip change for a little while now. she just started throwing a 12 inch ball this week. she throws it well sometimes but shes just inconsistant. shes struggling finding her release point and holding on to it too long. this pretty much happens because she slows her arm down at release. are there any things we can do to help her with this. she just cant seem to get it down consistantly.

Nov 1, 2008
There is a YouTube video of Bill Hillhouse during one of his clinics in which he addresses the flip change. In the video he suggests finishing with the back of the pitching hand landing between the glove side elbow and shoulder. The height of the pitch can be adjusted by altering where the hand finishes. Closer to the elbow will bring the pitch down, closer to the shoulder brings the pitch up. This causes the ball to have more lateral spin as well. The results were instantaneous for my DD. While it wasn't quite as slow as the regular flip change, it was MUCH more effective. She went from throw a good change once every 10 tries to throwing maybe 7 out of 10. I'll try to find that video.

May 13, 2013
thanks for the reply. ill see if I can find the video of hillhouse doing that. she takes lessons and is taught the hello elbow not what hillhouse teaches. so I dont know if this will make any difference.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
thanks for the reply. Ill see if i can find the video of hillhouse doing that. She takes lessons and is taught the hello elbow not what hillhouse teaches. So i dont know if this will make any difference.

get a new pitching coach !!!!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
thanks for the reply. Ill see if i can find the video of hillhouse doing that. She takes lessons and is taught the hello elbow not what hillhouse teaches. So i dont know if this will make any difference.

get a new pitching coach !!!!
Dito...ASAP
when throwing a flip change, just be sure to not let the back of the hand come above the belt in the release point and DO NOT SLOW DOWN THE ARM. Its the lack of snap that reduces the speed. Change up are a magic act, its all about misdirection and the perception of speed.

May 13, 2013
why are you guys saying get a new pitching coach. just because he teaches something different than hillhouse. pitching coach has told her no higher than the belt I already know that was just trying to see if there were and tricks to get them to just do it full speed. I mean shes ten throws a fastball 45-46 and her change drops to low 30s with rev fire kit.

May 17, 2012
It has nothing to do with Hillhouse. The best pitchers in the world are not using hello elbow and your daughter shouldn't either. Don't take anyone's word for it watch the videos of elite pitchers on TV and YouTube.

Forget about the flip change and focus on finding your daughter a new pitching coach.

Her velocity and accuracy will improve and she will be less prone to injury.

Someday the lightbulb will come on and you will thank us.

May 13, 2013
so whats the difference letting her arm go whereever its wants to go when she finishes the pitch and her elbow is a little bent when.she pitches

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
As a hillhouse convert from a Finch Hello Elbow I'll tell you why - maxing out! My DD maxed out her speed using HE method. She always had movement and some speed but as the battrs caught up to her @ 15 we began looking for more speed. She had good stride, great core control of her body and needed more upper body strength. She started some weights and got really tight actually slowing down. She could rarely get a pitch above 55mph. We started with Bill last fall and she has developed a 55-58 mph fastball and never lost any control. She picked up a curveball which she had tried for 4 years with no success (now her 'go to' pitch), and her drop is almost unhittable. She has so much more potential now as she is still trying to unlearn some HE habits. She is still rebuilding muscle memory for a better stride and staying open longer which equates to more speed. BTW she is the new 'Ace' on her HS team 18-2, 2 tourney MVP's and has gotten more press than her predicessor (pardon the spelling) while knowing she has not reached her full potential.

As for the change up my DD loves hitting flip pitchers!! The back of their hand telegraphs the pitch. She sees hand before ball and waits to crush the upcoming change. My DD throws a combination palm/circle/knuckle ball that she has to throw with fastball arm power just to make it to the plate. When the wind is calm the pitch is always 38-40mph and comes off her hand like a high fastball. The 'pop' release is the only way to tell it is not a fastball or rise. Batters are fooled either swinging way early or having it 'drop off the table' under their swing dead at the back of the plate or right in front of the catcher. She doesn't use it too often so batters never really have a chance to catch on and almost always is a dropped 3rd so the catcher knows to tag the batter.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
why are you guys saying get a new pitching coach. just because he teaches something different than hillhouse. pitching coach has told her no higher than the belt I already know that was just trying to see if there were and tricks to get them to just do it full speed. I mean shes ten throws a fastball 45-46 and her change drops to low 30s with rev fire kit.

I asked that very same question about 6 or 7 months ago regarding the hello elbow style of pitching. I received the same answer you have received. My DD was taking pitching lessons from an ex high school pitcher....let me say that again...an ex high school pitcher. The reason she was taking lessons from her was because I was clueless as to the correct mechanics of pitching. I was flipping through the channels and a D1 college softball game was on and I noticed the pitchers arm looked nothing like the way my DD's arm would end up after she delivered the ball. That is what prompted me to do some research which led me to this forum. After hours of watching you tube videos, reading all of Boardmembers IR threads and looking at all of the best pitchers in the world in the Model Pitchers thread, we decided to take the plunge and switch from HE to IR. Im not saying it was easy but it was the best decision we ever made regarding to pitching. It took about 5 months but it was totally worth it. You probably noticed my emphasis on my DD's old pitching coach...an ex high school pitcher that used HE elbow mechanics. Not an ex D-1 pitcher who used IR mechanics. There is a direct coorelation between the two styles, in my opinion. If you want your DD to reach her full potential, it would be worth your time to take a look at the IR threads posted by Boardmember. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24