Fixing Holes in front of the pitcher's plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Need some maintenance advice. Our Rec league suffers from the huge holes in front of the pitcher's plate like many parks do. We are hosting a tournament in a few weeks and want the fields in the best shape possible. What are the best ways you've seen to address this both short and long term?

Thanks!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Dig out area to a depth of about 8-12" and re-pack tightly with mound clay

This.... and then after every game get the mound clay back in the holes, repack it down and repeat.

Also, if you can water your field after every game or two it will help as well. So have the field staff line the field and then spray the whole field with water so it is damp. Keep the infield in the infield as much as possible.

Jul 19, 2008
I have been taking care of our small towns softball diamond for the last couple of years. I get little of a budget at all, so alot of what I do comes from my own pocket. I am learnign alot by doing and alot by reading info online as well as asking questions. Mound clay is fairly expensive, so I have been limited in using it. In fact I only have gotten to uses a few 50lb bags that a business left here for me after doing some work on our infield. Dig out 3-4 inches deep in front of the pitching rubber out to as far as the pitchers land and the width of the pitching rubber. Dampen the bottom of the area you dug out and rough up with a rake. Before you add clay, it needs to be damp also. Once it is dampened, dump a inch or 2 over the roughed up bottom of the hole you dug out and pack down tight. Sprinkle with water to moisten the top and add another layer of clay and pack down tight. Keep doing that until the hole you dug out is full. You can do the same for batters boxes and catchers box. The clay is much firmer than the sand/clay ifield mix used on most infields. It will stay put better and wont wear nearly as fast. When the holes start to wear out, use a broom and sweep out the loose material, rough up the bottom of the hole with a rake or shovel and pack in more clay until it is level full. You can then pull some loose infield material over top of the clay areas. If kept damp, its very nice to play on. If it dries out, it is hard like concrete. Then water it lightly and let the water soak in and its good to go again. When I cant get any of the mound clay, I rake out the holesand use a rake to level it off, then pack it down tight. It is not as good as the clay, but it helps. It will wear more than the clay, but not nearly as bad as loose or unpacked infield material. Bagged clay does cost enough. You can also check some local sand/gravel pits and sometimes they will sell screened clay in bulk. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad