First week of college practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When people say "No one tells you....how hard it is, how demanding it is, how physical it is, how, how, how..." I would say they haven't been listening.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Each program will be different, but just about all of them are difficult. Players don't need to be motivated, they need to be disciplined in everything they do, or they will flush out. I posted a thread a while back titled, so you think you are prepared to play college ball? or something like that. I think families don't want to believe what other people are telling them. I have NEVER heard from a parent or player that college ball was fun or easy. DD is threatening to come down with a injury so she doesn't have to go on a 10 hour away game bus ride in the spring.

DD is a Senior and she is the last remaining player from her recruiting class and is the only one that has 3 years of experience on her team. She would hear players complain how tough practices are, and DD looks around and says huh? Thankfully, DD's TB team prepared her for a tough practice schedule. M,T,W-3 hours a day, then Weekends when no tourneys. That was tough! DD's TB coach sent lots of kids to colleges and learned what the coaches wanted from the players over the years. They practiced base running every practice, now I know why.

Some programs do not respect the players time. Players are told to show up an hour early for warmups, then the coaches show up for their 3 hour practices, and then they gotta stay another 1 hour after practice. If you are a P or C, then you have additional Bullpens, many times between classes. This is a D3 schedule.

You can do all the planning and due diligence on the college team that your DD commits to and totally believe this is the place. Coaches are awesome, players are great, schedule is perfect. But then DD gets a call 6 days after she commits from the coach telling her he is leaving. Or when you realize the coaches that you commit to are not the same coaches on campus (Jekyll and Hyde). How about when the college switches conference? Now all the away games are a flight away instead a few hours of drive time. Be flexible and resilient.

Anything that is worth it, is worth working for right? When DD graduates, I'll ask her, Was it worth it? Any regrets? I'll let y'all know what she says in May as long as she makes it through!

May 27, 2022
Something else to think about: I've seen quite a few athletes from our HS go play college ball (VB, BB, SB, ...). Ignoring those who really weren't good enough, most make it to college and do one year, very few of them make it past 1 year, and very very few make it past 2. For most, they like the idea of being a college athlete, but not the effort, process, and sacrifices it actually takes to be one. Limited time off, demanding schedule, eating right, limited drinking/parties are all sacrifices that a competitive athlete accepts.

Jun 22, 2019
What level are they? I believe that NCAA is a lot more rigid on limiting the number of contact hours than NAIA.
My girls play at a JUCO (D1). I think the only difference in the d1 vs. d2 JUCO is the amount of scholarship they can provide.

They have strict rules on how much instruction the coaches can give, but they have trainers that oversee the workouts. I don’t know all of the rules honestly.

On a good note they seemed to have a much better time today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Everyone gave great advice.

Academic-wise - tell them to utilize their professor’s office hours to establish a good rapport with them. Dd did this last year and it helped a lot when she had some questions about the material or conflicts with practice/game schedules.

Do make some time to socialize. Even though it’s a grind and they will be extremely busy between school and softball, taking some time to just socialize as a college kid really helps. I’m not saying go to a party every weekend, but go to non-softball events on campus or something off-campus here and there. It helps them to just relax and enjoy other things the school/location has to offer that’s not softball-related. Even just hanging out in the dorm getting to know floor-mates once in a while helps.

Like everyone else said - it will get better. Once they get used to their routine they will feel much less stressed. I’d say after about 4-6 weeks is when most of them have it figured out and are much happier. Just be there for them when they need to talk and be an active listener. Most times that’s all they need.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
To add to this. Make friends with NON Athletes in class. Sit in the front row. Set up study groups with students that appear to be smarter!!! Join a group that is related to their major or some other interest. Ya gotta get plugged in. And yes, make it a point to visit the professor during their office hours, even if it's for something you know the answer to your question. This goes a long way into establishing rapport and if you are on the bubble they might just give you the benefit of the doubt especially if they know who you are. Show that you are trying, engage in class and not just showing up. And Never miss a class if you can control it. @pattar How does this sound?

Jun 8, 2016
This goes a long way into establishing rapport and if you are on the bubble they might just give you the benefit of the doubt especially if they know who you are. Show that you are trying, engage in class and not just showing up. And Never miss a class if you can control it. @pattar How does this sound?
Tbh, college isn’t kindergarten IMO. If a kid doesn’t show up to a single class but knows the material that is fine with me. Likewise if a kid works his or her butt off but is still is getting C’s on everything they are going to get a C 🤷🏽‍♂️ The reason to go to class, see the professor,etc is to better learn the material...not earn brownie points. For some kids a C is the best they can do, nothing wrong with that. For others they need to learn HOW to work their butt off, e.g. find out the best way to apply their time so that they learn optimally. That is one thing college can (and should) teach outside of the actual subjects you are learning.

In terms of grades I round up to the nearest integer and then they get the appropriate letter grade based on that.
I realize grading is not perfect and neither are tests, which is what an end of semester curve is for
(or a modified numerical grade to letter grade map). Once that is set a kid's grade is a kid's grade.
You start to give out grades based upon your personal opinion of a kid and you will find yourself in trouble at some point..students talk to each other..

That said I would certainly respect that hard working student who earned a C and if asked to write a recommendation I would certainly give them one which paints them in the best light possible...I've actually had this happen a few times (eg asked to write a recommendation for a kid which didn't have the greatest grades but worked hard..)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Just my personal perspective. I did the college athlete thing for a bit. Personally, I washed out because I found I didn't love my sport as much when it became a job. Which is really what collegiate athletics is: a job.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My twin DD's just started their 3rd year. The first year was whacked because of Covid and they didn't get to be on campus in the Fall The Coach who recruited them did a great job with helping the team bond using Zoom calls and group chats. When the Freshman were finally allowed to go "live" and be on campus they were all put on the same floor of the dorm, at the other end of that floor were freshman baseball players. Three days into it they almost all got kicked off campus for not wearing face shields over their masks and not social distancing 6 ft apart in the dorm hallway. Crushed everything. But they formed an even stronger bond with their team due to this and when they were allowed to return as Spring athletes they still wanted to go.. The the school fired the Asst Coach. They had a really short season with limited travel and games. My DD's primary positions are Pitcher and Catcher and definitely put in the extra work for that. The first Head Coach wouldn't risk my Pitcher DD getting hurt while batting/base running or playing any other position which didn't exactly make her happy. Her other twin (Catcher) led the team that year with her bat and won a few Conference awards. The next year the Coach left and the school was in no big hurry to hire anyone...it appeared the program might even be shut down. Player led practices and more opportunity to bond. The dedication and passion finally led to the AD posting a job opening a a new coach was hired a month or so before the Spring semester began. They went on and had a pretty successful year. We'll see what happens this year. One of my DD's is studying abroad and is also working with the Dutch National squad while she's there. It's the first time that my twins have been apart for more than a week since they were conceived. It's a challenge but an opportunity for growth as well. The other DD who is on campus is a a bit concerned that this years freshman recruits aren't bonding as well with the older players...she is reaching out and doing what she can but it's still early and we discussed several reasons for it and how it will likely improve with time and practice on the field and in the gym together.

Academics - it's getting a bit harder but they've made the Dean's list every semester so far (including when they got kicked off campus). That's just how they are and while there are times when they've been overwhelmed and called Mom or Dad for a shoulder to cry on they understood it wasn't going to easy.

Socially, I couldn't agree more with the comments about meeting non-athlete students, it is a necessary part of life. Not everyone will understand the choices athletes make when it comes to life's decisions but they don't need to..it's not their road to travel. The time management skills that my kids developed over the years as multi-sport athletes in Travel and High School sports has been huge and will continue to serve them well.

To the OP with the twins - good luck and I hope you and the girls enjoy every step of the journey. It may not always be fun at the time they are doing it but most likely once it's over and done with they'll look back on their time fondly and have lifelong friends and memories from it! Twins definitely have that special connection and while each of mine have their own best friends and social circles - no one gets in between them as sisters.

Good luck and yes, have fun!

Oct 4, 2018
The high percentage of player that quit really bothers me. The stories of abusive over demanding coaches piss me off. This is not the marines. It's not life or death. It's softball. It's a game. Games are suppose to be fun.
If and when my DD gets the opportunity to play college ball she will be choosing school that offer a good education and non abusive coaching staff with a high retention rate. Maybe a coach that has read a book recently. Looking for a John Wooden or Tony Dungi, type. These loud abusive, demented old school coaches should be embarrassed by their retention rate but probably wear as a badge of honor. I hope the portal helps root out some of these Neanderthals. Go buy a dog you can beat.

It's tough. If they don't win, they get fired. So they do what they can to win. They don't (seem to) care much about the kid's education, other than not flunking out.

Oct 4, 2018
When people say "No one tells you....how hard it is, how demanding it is, how physical it is, how, how, how..." I would say they haven't been listening.

I'm constantly surprised by this phenomenon. I shouldn't be.

People just don't listen. They've been told 100 times and thing it won't happen to them. So dumb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00