First time as a pick up player, what to expect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD was asked to fill in with a short team this weekend for the first time. She knows two girls and has met one of the coaches, so not a bad situation for playing with a bunch of strangers.

All I know at this point is where and when to show up.
How is this usually handled by the coach, and what would be a good approach to set her expectations realistically?

Jan 25, 2011
I would do what goingdeep has on all of his post. "Show up raise hell and leave" well then again maybe not. I would tell her to be herself and leave it all out on the field. Nothing like being the hired gun, so to speak. They would not of asked her, if they didn't see something in her they liked. Let us know how she did and have fun.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD has subbed a few times for several different teams. We look at this being a good thing. I'm sure some don't want their DD's to play on other teams, but for us it is a chance to play more tourneys and gain experience. My DD is a little on the shy side so it helps her make new friends also.

What to expect? The only thing to expect is to relax and have a fun time. Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed with what you receive. Play where they ask you, as much as they let you and have fun. As the parent, sit back and relax and enjoy the game.

Let us know how it goes.

My DD is subbing next weekend in a dome tournament and she is even participating in their team practices with the other team. She knows a few of the players which makes it easier, but she enjoys the extra time with a glove on her hand.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'd go for it this time!!! Next time or the time after, you might want to make sure you get to practice with the team at least once. If everyone is surprised it can be unconformable.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
For the record, DD always had a great time picking up. Change of scenery and pace, new experiences, and like others will tell you it's an honor.

No matter where she plays or how much time she does, relax......be the good parent. You never know what doors picking up might open down the road. If she plays good and no drama, word gets around she's a great one to call for "help".

Keep us posted.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Just go and keep an open mind. Some coaches play pick up players over regular players. Some just use them as reserves. If you keep low expectations as far as playing time, you won't be disappointed.

Jul 28, 2008
One of the benefits is she meets new friends and other coaches get to know her. My DD picked up for the first time last year for Western Nationals and had a ball doing it. It was a great experience.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
She caught every other game, did journeyman work, sat out the others except a little OF.
She batted in every game, a few triples, bunch of doubles, one HBP, failed to reach base once. A little luck in there of course.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd