first game pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Well my dd is 9 and has been taking lessons for about 10 months now. This weekend she gets to pitch in her first tournament,I think I'm more nervous than she is (our at least I hope so). Is there any advice that I can give her or outs there any advice you can give me lol.

gasfreak,

I am jealous! My DD has her first college practice on Monday, at a school 1,800 miles away!

I have a few comments for you:
1) Yes, you are probably more nervous than she is.
2) The best advise you can give her is "have fun"
3) The best advise I can give YOU is to cheer for the team, not just your DD and DO NOT coach from outside the fence.

You have many years of watching your DD grow up. Make them good years.

Oh, one last bit of advise for you; HAVE FUN!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
ps. tell her something Jennie Finch said, "Pitchers are so special that they're the only one on the field with a circle around them"

I tell my catchers they are the most important which is why home plate points to them.

Ride home/after game we only talk about the game if she wants to. There are plenty of practices to work on things and talk about what I think.

I can remember my DD's first game pitching. She was 7 and playing in a really poor YMCA league which included 12 year olds. Lots of balls, some strikes and a big smile on her face.

No coaching on game day unless they ask for it. Say "have fun" and let them go do it. When I am a spectator I stay out of her eye sight (though she says she doesn't see anything but the catcher so she doesn't care) and cheer (but no coaching). When I am coaching I am generally calling pitches or asking her what is working/not working today.

May 12, 2013
We both made it through the first day, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be lol. She pitched 5 innings during 3 games, she threw 98 pitches 56 balls and 42 strikes and struck out 10. Also she played the position really well a far a covering home and all

Feb 7, 2013
We both made it through the first day, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be lol. She pitched 5 innings during 3 games, she threw 98 pitches 56 balls and 42 strikes and struck out 10. Also she played the position really well a far a covering home and all

Great job to your DD. Each game she pitches she will gain more and more confidence in the circle.

Now, her next goal is to be more consistent with her fastball. Right now she is throwing 40% strikes. Ideally she wants to throw around 60% strikes and her strikeout to walk ratio at a minimum 2/1. Once she is more consistent with the fastball, introduce the changeup. She should be practicing a least 3x a week.

Good luck.

May 12, 2013
I am enjoying these years for sure we have a great relationship. she was brought in in the first inning today because the other pitcher was struggling and had bases loaded no outs,one girl scored on a passed ball but thats it she dug us out of that hole and pitched 2 more innings with no runs scored. im very proud of her and how determined she is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA