first game pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2013
Well my dd is 9 and has been taking lessons for about 10 months now. This weekend she gets to pitch in her first tournament,I think I'm more nervous than she is (our at least I hope so). Is there any advice that I can give her or outs there any advice you can give me lol.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Say this right before the game; "OK sweetie. Go out there and have fun. BUT, you gotta promise me this one thing, when you strike the batter out, do NOT laugh at them,,, its like REALLY RUDE!" Just leave it at that and see how much of what she has been taught has took.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
My advice is to not give her any technical advice before the game. Ask her an hour before to think about where you can go for ice
cream when the game is over.

May 17, 2012
Sit behind the fence so you can call pitches and give her feedback between every pitch. ;)

I would suggest that regardless on how it goes I would take mental notes on what she did well and what didn't go so well. I would congratulate her after the game on what she did well and I wouldn't bring up what didn't go so well until her next pitching lesson.

Don't mention the game on the car ride home either.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
How do you not mention the game during the car ride home? I am personally totally incapable of not talking about the game.

Okay, mention the game. Tell her how proud you are and how much you love her. Save the critique for another time.

For me it was only a few years ago in Rec ball and I was a total mess. After watching her on the mound, I knew she had more than enough poise for the both of us. Now she's pitching for an A level team and I'm sure the first time she pitches this fall I'll be a total mess again. These are the moments we live for as goofy parents of pitchers....cherish them.

ps. tell her something Jennie Finch said, "Pitchers are so special that they're the only one on the field with a circle around them"

Jul 26, 2010
How do you not mention the game during the car ride home? I am personally totally incapable of not talking about the game.

If you practice 1/100th keeping quiet about the game as she does preparing for it, you'll do just fine ;) Eat something instead, since it's rude to talk with your mouth full. Put the radio on and rock out.

-W

Dec 7, 2011
I have found a wonderful solution to my anxiety when DD pitches. Learned this from another way-too-invested-vicariously-living-thru-their-kids dad.

Find the foul-line pole in the outfield of the side you team is on and sit right adjacent to it.

There is something so peacefull about viewing the game from afar...... It has a levelling affect.

Jun 24, 2013
For you: For the 1st game find a spot out of eye sight and ear shot. You can slowly sneak back into ear shot for cheering purposes.

For her: 1 pitch at a time

For both of you: No use getting upset at the umpire or the defense, both are going to make mistakes. Live with it and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch